Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduate Coursework -- PhD Real Analysis vs PhD Micro

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Graduate Coursework -- PhD Real Analysis vs PhD Micro

Sponsored Ad:
    I feel what laborsabre mentioned above aptly encompasses the attitude you should have when approaching PhD coursework. While it's true that it's highly mathematical, the math is simply a necessary tool to arrive at a particular result or conclusion. The focus is very rarely on how the tool works, albeit it promotes a more complete understanding if you understand why some stuff works the way they do. Most people who come from a more mathematical background tend to get too hung up on the math side of things that they lose sight of the purpose of the exercise.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that you should just mechanically use lemmas left and right without understanding why it works; rather, the time spent digging deeper into it is time poorly spent.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Graduate Coursework -- PhD Real Analysis vs PhD Micro

My opinion was that professors skipped a lot of those technical details due to time constraints. If you're interested in those technical details you can continue to self-study those topics like Munkres Topology, or Mas-Colells General Economic Equilibrium book. We used MWG for learning mechanism design and I found it to be poor. I'd recommend Borgers for Mechanism design. The point is, there are a lot of great books that can supplement your class and provide a well rounded perspective. It sounds like your a self-starter, so consider this strategy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information