Urch Forums

Choosing between measure theoretic probability and a graduate statistics class using Casella/Berger. I have some expectation of doing theory in the future, but I'm not all in. Which should I take? What are the important considerations? Edited by therealslimkt
more informative title

If you do measure theoretic probability you could simply read Casella and Berger afterwards and learn everything. Analysis is harder to learn on your own as many books eschew motivation in favour of a definition-theorem-proof type of exposition although analysis is fundamentally an intuitive subject (the rigour is just needed to refine your intuition initially). A class can really help you develop that intuitive feel for the subject, both through the broader insights of the professor and from your peers who you would be solving problems with. This is useful EVEN if you have a sufficiently well developed intuition for undergraduate analysis