Urch Forums

International student undergraduate GPA evaluation

lemonpee

I have an engineering undergraduate degree from a generally well-known college in a developing country, but with a GPA which is good but not stellar (some of my courses grades are bad, some decent, some great). I also have a Master's in economics with the best grades.

I have two questions - first, would admission committees (top 10, top 20, or top 30) care about my undergraduate grades at all? If yes, how would they evaluate my grades (given that they would not have seen too many applicants with the same undergraduate degree)?

Thanks for the response. It is not American, but it is the best program in my country. I guess that makes it somewhat well-known.

How would a committee evaluate a GPA like mine, since they would likely not have many applicants from the same undergraduate institution as mine? I ask this because I'm curious how they would figure out 1. What a great GPA would be from my institution and 2. How tough it is to get great grades in that institution.

Programs often have more experience than you might think in evaluating grades, but that will vary from program to program. So there isn't a clear answer.

One thing that matters is how many students have gone on to the PhD from either your undergraduate or graduate program.