Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Linear Algebra and Calc II and III, NEED TO APPLY FOR PHD ECONOMICS, WHAT DO I DO

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: No Linear Algebra and Calc II and III, NEED TO APPLY FOR PHD ECONOMICS, WHAT DO I

Sponsored Ad:
    He/she did list them: "Introduction to Statistics, University Algebra (not linear algebra), Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1", with a B in Calculus 1.

At this forum we usually classify these as high-school level courses. Typically econ applicants begin their undergrad-level math with Calculus 3 or Linear Algebra, then proceed with an analysis or advanced-calculus course in their sophomore or junior year. If you have not taken Calculus 3 or Linear Algebra yet, then it's extremely difficult to predict whether you'll do well in real analysis, complex analysis and abstract algebra (which should be among the 8 courses you mentioned). These advanced courses tend to rely on proof heavy, abstract work for problem sets, which is highly distinct from the computation-heavy work required for university algebra/pre-calculus.

In short, I don't think you should be confident that you'll do well in that set of 8 math courses as a part-time student. You'll likely need to spend much more time than you expect, and that will conflict with your work. Either reduce the load by removing a few courses, or spread it out, or quit the job and take those courses full-time.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: No Linear Algebra and Calc II and III, NEED TO APPLY FOR PHD ECONOMICS, WHAT DO I

Yeah I agree that my original post is a long mess. I agree with all your advice. Iíll figure out what to do and will let you guys know.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

When I was applying to programs there were a few lower ranked places which listed only Cal1 as a requirement. The University of New Mexico was one that I remember off the top of my head.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information