Urch Forums

Schools With Active Economic History Field

HistoricalEcon

I would like to know if the Economic History Field is still active and which schools have Ph.D. students with EH specialization. I have done my research, finding 5 schools who publicly show their economic history specialization option (sadly top 20) but I'm unaware if admissions are open for candidates who want to specialize in that field.

The reasoning is based on the lack of graduates from those institutes with an economic history field. Before anyone criticizes me or directs me to apply to LSE Economic History Ph.D., my central interest/research is Macroeconomics but economic history is a very crucial subject to all Economic courses (even Econometric) and I desire to research in that field as well. I refuse to apply to an institution that does not even have an Economic History course as a requirement for Ph.D. completion. I would love to go into more (possibly rant) but I will appreciate any help and/or tips.

There are a lot of non top 20 schools, with active people in Economic History. UC Davis, have at least 5 Professor doing history (Clark, Eriksson, Meissner, Perez, Taylor), and also requires that every student take a history class to graduate.

UC Irvine has Bogart and Arthi, both doing active history research.

Price Fishback in U of Arizona is also really active, and more lower in the rankings, Vanderbilt just hired Brian Beach and Sarah Quincy (and they also have Collins and Goodman Bacon).

So just check each program website to see the requirements for each.

Are you sure you're not interested in some mix of history-of-economic-thought and monetary history? Note that those topics are very separated from what is currently referred to as economic history in most US departments - i.e. applied micro topics in historical settings.

These two groups basically publish in different journals, go to difference conferences, and go to different workshops within their universities.

Your interest in diverse fields should be encouraged, but make sure you have a clear idea of whether some professor/course is actually in reasonable proximity to your research area.