Urch Forums

Flyouts to visit places for free?

donod

I had to check your profile to figure out where you're coming from. Okay, you're an almost guaranteed admit to top 10 programs. But you're still likely to place into a #20-#100 program 5 years later. Or your paper might be reviewed by them. Academia is a small world, people are petty and have long memories, and there isn't much leeway for being a d*ck.

I had to check your profile to figure out where you're coming from. Okay, you're an almost guaranteed admit to top 10 programs. But you're still likely to place into a #20-#100 program 5 years later. Or your paper might be reviewed by them. Academia is a small world, people are petty and have long memories, and there isn't much leeway for being a d*ck.

This is something that all too many PhD applicants and PhD students underestimate. I know someone who is currently effectively blacklisted at a very good journal (can't give away any more details than that) because they made a jerk move during the application process 30 years ago -and they themselves admitted as much. One of the people who got ticked off is someone who carries a lot of influence at that journal and has effectively ensured that this individual's papers never get accepted there. I was told this story by the individual themselves as a cautionary story for young aspiring academics.

Edited by zshfryoh1

Given the low marginal cost of applying to universities which 20-100 ranked universities (in the US and abroad) should I apply for a flyouts? Which are good cities to visit?

Regardless of the moral issues here, schools in America and Canada will typically only pay for one or maybe two nights of accommodation when visiting. They'll also only pay your expenses if you actually go to the visit day (this will include dinner so it's something like 9am to 9pm). Schools outside of North America don't really have funds available for these kinds of visits.

If spending two days traveling to visit a school you have no interest in attending and sitting through a bunch of pointless (for you) meetings sounds like a good way to "visit a city" then there's probably nothing much anyone can say to dissuade you.