Urch Forums

Visiting Universities??

jdl7851

I am applying to PhD programs admissions in Fall 2020. I have been talking with someone who just finished a PhD at a Top 50 program and he recommended visiting the school and meeting with some faculty members (to discuss the program and their research). Is this a good idea? To what extent could it hurt or help my application? (Is this different from the question regarding fly outs?)

Students who are admitted to a program are often all invited out for a "visit day." Often, expenses are paid.

Before then, some departments welcome visitors and others don't want them. For example, MIT says "Can I visit your department or contact faculty before being admitted?

No."

In other disciplines, contacting faculty before applying is often the norm. It isn't in economics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree. Please visit after admission, if possible. If not, please schedule a phone call with the Director of Graduate Studies. She or he can also put you in touch with other faculty and graduate students.

No need to visit prior to being accepted.