Sponsored Ad:

Thread: How do adcomms asses international GPA

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

How do adcomms asses international GPA

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi Urch community. I have been an avid reading of this forum since february, and it has been very useful to me. Right now I'm preparing for the application process of a Ph.D. in Economics, but I'm a little worried about how admission committee will assess my GPA since in my country grades go from 0 to 10, and you pass with a 7, but there is a lot of variance depending on the professor.

If I scale my GPA to the U.S scale it is only a 3.32, which from I understand is pretty weak for a US university. However, I was first of my class in my math major and in Economics, and top 5 in my Economics major. I also was able to ask for a letter of recommendation from a very prestigious professor of Economics in a top 10 US university whom I was able to work and made a great impression on him. What do you think? Is this a deal breaker for any admission committee? I am aiming to a wide range of Univs, but decided to take a shot at a master in another country if I don't get at least in a top 30.

A little more info:
    Country: A small one from the Americas with few recognized economists.
    University: The most recognized university at my country.
    GPA: 8.3/10.0
    LoRs: One from a professor in a top 10 in US, the other two from professors at my university with whom I have a great relation.
    GRE: 170Q, 162V, 4.5 AW
    TOEFL: 107 (28R, 29L, 25S, 25W)

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Re: How do adcomms asses international GPA

Top 20 U.S. programs admit ~60% of their cohorts from international students, and they'll have at least 1 faculty member that understands how to read international transcripts. I don't think you have anything to worry about. They'll focus on the ranks (#1/#top 5) in your majors.

Apply to all the top 20 + a few good master's programs. You'll likely get into a top 10, especially the one that your letter-writer works in.
    Last edited by chateauheart; 09-30-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: How do adcomms asses international GPA

That 60% is quite an important fact. I knew US universities were diverse, but didn't know that so much. That's gives more hopes to me.

Thank you for the motivation. I was thinking about applying some 15 universities up to the top 30s. After I realize my results I will give an update.

Thread Information