Urch Forums

Which math courses to take from this list?

dogbones

Hi All:

I'm trying to see what math classes I'll be taking in my MA program from next summer, and was hoping somebody can point me in the right direction...

Already planning to take:

- Calculus IV

- Intro to Linear Algebra

- Intro to Advanced Mathematics

- Elementary Probability & Statistics

- Intro to Real Analysis

- Topology

- Combinatorial Mathematics

I can take 2 more math classes (will do MA for 3 years to prepare well for RA and PhD)... could you please help me choose from the following?

- Intro to Abstract Algebra

- Linear Programming (is this redundant from Econometrics?)

- Principles of Analysis (I and II for 2 semesters)

- Complex Analysis (I see that others have taken this in the past)

- Probability

I have Economic Theory research interests so I would like to have an excellent mathematical preparation... thank you!

I'd take off combinatorics, intro to real analysis, and elementary P&S, and instead take Principles of Analysis (probably R^n rather than R^1 like the intro course) and a year-long advanced probability/statistics sequence which is closer to analysis.

But what is your mathematical background, and how have you done in those courses? I take it you have not gone past Calc III or taken a proof-based math class in your undergrad?

Hi coloradoecon, your input is so invaluable...

I've taken Calculus IV (got a B so will retake), Linear Alg & Diff Eq (got a B- but was still in the top 15% of the class, want to retake the more challenging Intro to Linear Alg version), and a botched Elem Prob for my very first class at this particular university ©... but this is many years ago, I finished my 2nd BA degree in 2013... been studying ever since!

With this new advice I think my MA math courses will look like this:

- Calculus IV

- Intro to Linear Algebra

- Intro to Advanced Mathematics

- Principles of Analysis I & II

- Topology

- Probability

- Statistical Inference

And I could also squeeze in a graduate level Political Theory & Analysis class because I'm interested in policy analysis...

My course schedule looks so much better now, thank you!!