Urch Forums

Advice for those with marginal GRE score

puppies

I hope to make this post general enough so that many people may benefit from it.

I am applying to several top 30 and many top 20 programs this application cycle. I just took the GRE for a second time and scored a 165 on quant (162 verbal if it matters). I feel confident about everything else that will be on my application as my grades, research experience, and letters of rec. are all strong enough to get admitted to the range of programs I am looking at. Thus, my GRE score is giving my stress since I know the average quant GRE for these programs is a 167; hence I must be near the threshold score they are looking for.

What advice/insights do we have on this situation? Perhaps others could extrapolate this advice to other ranges of programs?

Thanks!

I got a 164 quant score my first time (with little to no preparation). A year or two later I prepared by working through the The 5 Lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems from Manhattan Prep. I did nearly all the quantitative practice problems in there leading up to taking it again. My quant score was 170 the second time. I highly recommend it!