Urch Forums

Economics PhD Admissions with a "soft" major

hyunmin

I am currently studying philosophy as an undergraduate at a T10 department (for economics). However, I have taken the following courses:

(MATH): Calculus 1-3, Linear Algebra, Honors Analysis, ODE, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, and Topology

(ECON): Micro/Macro theory, Introduction to Econometrics, Advanced Econometrics

Is this a strong enough profile for PhD admissions? Also, a main concern of mine is that I don't have any research experience and, given my "soft" major, I won't be able to get any RAships. Thank you!

Basically yes, it is strong enough.

It would be better if you had at least an intermediate micro course as well. If you picked up some reasonable software skills in econometrics, you may well be able to find an RA-ship.

Letters of recommendation may be a problem because of the lack of research experience.

But the big question is: How do you know that you want an economics PhD?

Agree with everything above.

Make sure you understand what an economics PhD is and what your career options are.

Make sure you have at least one, but ideally two or three, letters from regular economics faculty. i.e. not graduate student instructors; not adjuncts or visitors.

• 2 months later...
I am currently studying philosophy as an undergraduate at a T10 department (for economics). However, I have taken the following courses:

(MATH): Calculus 1-3, Linear Algebra, Honors Analysis, ODE, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, and Topology

(ECON): Micro/Macro theory, Introduction to Econometrics, Advanced Econometrics

Is this a strong enough profile for PhD admissions? Also, a main concern of mine is that I don't have any research experience and, given my "soft" major, I won't be able to get any RAships. Thank you!

I have done my undergrad in Industrial engineering and even I have not taken that much of mathematical classes. Congrats to you firstly. Also for the classes you have taken, I think these should be enough for you to be successfull in Econ PhD but if you do not think this is sufficient, try to take more econometrics classes.