Urch Forums

Public Policy PhD Competitiveness

wetwilly

Hey friends,

What is the difference between incoming student profiles for public policy PhDs, compared to econ? I'm slightly hamstrung by a poor freshman year, and while I have basically all of my econ and math in ahead of me, best case scenario is I walk away with a 3.8 GPA or so. My school is really good at placement for PhD programs as well. Despite this, I think I can rule out a top 20 econ program, at least straight out of undergrad. Are similarly ranked public policy programs just as competitive? I haven't found too much information regarding admissions data. If anyone knows any good resources and/or has firsthand knowledge, that would be much appreciated! Thanks!

They are not that different. The problem here is that, most micro focused people also apply to the top PP programs. Since you are a freshman, you have nothing to worry about and to rule out a top 20 econ admit at such an early stage is unrealistic.. as I am sure you have not taken Calc III, Real Analysis, LA or any graduate level econ courses yet. So don't worry and most importantly, enjoy your studies!. If not, with this mindset you certainly will burn yourself out. If you are in not a very prestigious undergrad program, then yes top 20 will be hard even if you had a 4.0 all over!. So my advise is to evaluate your undergrad program in terms of ranking and transfer to a better school if necessary. Hope that helps.