Urch Forums

Any accessible Master Program for Psychology Student?

Bo1227

Hey everyone! I am applying for a master program that might potential help me transit into econ. I did psychology for my undergraduate but became more and more disenchanted about empirical studies in psych.

I understand that it won't be possible for me to get into any prestigious econ program unless I can somehow prove my mathematical abilities with a Master degree. I am wondering if there is any Master program that is willing to take students with weak mathematical background but have strong Econ PhD outcome.

I understand these two criteria are conflicting but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I have been applying for a few applied stats program but I doubt that will be enough for a econ PhD.

Type of Undergrad: 2 years in Top 10 University in China and 2 years in Top 15 in UK

Undergrad GPA: 3.80/4.00

Type of Grad: BSc Psychology

GRE: 169Q - 163V - 4.0W

Math Courses: Calc Ⅰ,Ⅱ, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Introduction to Statistics, Regression Analysis, Structural Equation Model

Computational Courses: C++, Matlab, R

Research Experience: field study that estimates effects of different education intervention/polices on academic outcomes;

Research Interests: Behav Econ, Labor Econ, Econometrics

Most Master programs require intermediate micro and macro at the bare minimum as far as Econ coursework is concerned(you need to check their websites for pre-requisites).For math Courses, you are only missing Calc III. So, if you take these three classes you should be in good shape to enter a master. At this point, you DO NOT want to enter a stats masters.. You are severely lacking Econ research experience and coursework; without these you will be a very hard sell (meaning its not clear why you are applying for an Econ PhD). Also, during your masters you want to take Real Analysis & Mathematical Statistics.

Most Master programs require intermediate micro and macro at the bare minimum as far as Econ coursework is concerned(you need to check their websites for pre-requisites).For math Courses, you are only missing Calc III. So, if you take these three classes you should be in good shape to enter a master. At this point, you DO NOT want to enter a stats masters.. You are severely lacking Econ research experience and coursework; without these you will be a very hard sell (meaning its not clear why you are applying for an Econ PhD). Also, during your masters you want to take Real Analysis & Mathematical Statistics.

Not sure this is the case. OP can always take a graduate diploma in the UK like the one Cambridge/Birkbeck/U of London/Warwick offer, they all lead into 1 year MSc.

Also, does Barcelona GSE have a minimum economics requirement? They don't mention any specific requirements on their website but they do market to non-economists a lot. Same with Bocconi and its MSc in Economics

I guess the OP should look at Europe more than the US. It'll be cheaper regardless.