Urch Forums

Considerations for potential Advisers in Graduate School

economics555

Just wondering how much emphasis I should place on the following factors when 'selecting' PhD advisers to approach:

1) If a PhD adviser has a few published Top 5's versus one who has published consistently in top field and second tier general interest journals. The reason I ask this question is because I have heard that academics with Top 5's help push PhD students towards Top 5 publications more so than those without. Although, I'm not sure how true this is, it's just what I have heard.

2) The quality/rigour of the core and field courses. Assuming a strong enough Math background would someone be able to self-study sufficiently to overcome weaker courses

3) Being in a good academic location surrounded by other universities conducting good research. Maybe this network effect has good influence on further developing ideas.

I know there are other considerations to have in mind such as placement ranking, supervisor compatibility, however, just wanted to know how much emphasis I should place on these in particular.

In response to 1): The PhD advisor who has published in Top 5 probably has seen many star students in his/her life; so, if that particular person thinks you are coachable and have the talent to do what it takes, then you guys are compatible! However, if you are not a star by any means or your research ideas are not well received then move on to the other prof (I think).

2) I am not sure what you mean by this?

3) Well yes.. you have more access to collaborate, bounce of research ideas and take classes at this other close institution so that is always efficient. Just like how silicon valley or wall street is structured.

Edited by Bayes

In response to 1): The PhD advisor who has published in Top 5 probably has seen many star students in his/her life; so, if that particular person thinks you are coachable and have the talent to do what it takes, then you guys are compatible! However, if you are not a star by any means or your research ideas are not well received then move on to the other prof (I think).

2) I am not sure what you mean by this?

3) Well yes.. you have more access to collaborate, bounce of research ideas and take classes at this other close institution so that is always efficient. Just like how silicon valley or wall street is structured.

Thanks. By the second I meant that some of the universities seem to have weaker core/field classes (European programmes). Is this something I should take into consideration or can it be (relatively easily) overcome?

In response to 1, I'm not sure how good I am. They have taken an interest but only because of prior grades and a brief conversation. They are also quite early on in their career and not at very well known school.

Edited by economics555