Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation

mdizzle

Hi everyone. New here. Looking to get my profile evaluated as I am hoping to get into a PhD in Econ / Finance Econ / Finance. I am currently eyeing schools in the UK.

Here goes:

24 years old

730 Gmat

Bachelor of Economics (double majors in financial economics and econometrics) at top Australian school - distinction average. Originally did a pure mathematics line, so I reached higher complex analysis, higher differential equations, higher theory of statistics, higher several variable calculus all with distinctions on top of distinction average in econ courses. Dean's listed for being in the top 5% of students.

MFin/Econ at top 10 european school (not UK) - top quartile grade-wise. 2 completed PhD courses with full marks as electives. My master's thesis supervisor is incredibly well known in his field but I have not started my thesis with him so no reference letter yet.

Taught 3 classes of quantitative methods (think Stata and econometrics up to panel data + IV) + applied micro

Will hold exercise classes in financial econometrics and predictive analysis (2 time series courses in R) both at graduate level.

3 reference letters:

1. professor who I am teaching for

2. associate professor who taught my one phd course and likes my ideas

3. professor who I am on the study board with (a student rep. thing)

Relevant work experience: 6 months at a top economic consultancy between my masters and bachelors.

Looking to apply to the top schools in the UK. Of course, it goes without saying that it is competitive. Feedback would be much appreciated.

All the best and merry xmas.

If you're applying to Econ programmes, then you should take the GRE. Almost all schools don't accept GMAT as a replacement.

It helps if you use the normal format for profile evaluations here. Makes the necessary information more visible to readers.

With regards to your letter writers, shouldn't your thesis advisor be one of your 3 letter writers (especially given that you say he is well-known)? Also, I'm not sure if you're applying for the Fall 2020 or 2021 intake. If it is the latter, then you definitely should include him as your letter writer. If it's the former, then you should really book a GRE session today to give yourself some breathing room for a re-take in case you don't score sufficiently high the first time round..

Lastly, as always, with regards to the feasibility of any particular range of schools, the people who can provide the most accurate assessment will be your letter writers.