Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd graduate degree from Harvard Extension School

Integrals & Bacon

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2nd graduate degree from Harvard Extension School

Sponsored Ad:
    Coloradoecon and Tutonic make a good point here about problem sets. My recommendation is to try to create a problem set for yourself (involving proofs).
    For Metrics: - Wooldridge’s intro to econometrics book has proof practice problems
    - Casella & Berger Statistical Inference
    For Micro: The obvious choice is MWG and you can find the solutions manual online as a pdf form
    For the comps, UCLA posts their preliminaries online for micro and macro. Try to solve those problems too.

Time yourself (without looking at the solutions) how long you take solving problems.

For STATA upgrade your obvious choice is to contact customer service.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dogbones View Post
    Hi startz: yes I have gone through the placements list for hawaii many times before actually... some really good ones in there too!
    Hi dogbones. From what I can see the University of Hawaii doesn't post their master's placements, but I know you have some insider knowledge. Since students occasionally ask me about master's programs, could you post here information about Hawaii's recent placement record?

Mahalo

Integrals & Bacon

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Dogbones, I looked through your created threads and I do not think you should pursue a PhD in Econ. Not only do you severely lack any research experience; you are also spinning in wheels with the same questions and naivety. Most of your created threads could be solved by simply searching through the right keywords in urch and finding your answers. For which, is also an essential part of research. In 2018, you stated that you would begin an MA in 2019 whilst taking math classes prior to that. Then, you wanted to prepare even further so you postponed it to fall 2020. From my understanding, you graduated in 2013 and have been out of the game for close to 6 years now and you still are thinking about ‘internships’ or learn how to access econ datasets(which signifies you have not done any RA job & puts doubts on your whatever number of working papers); plus, the word internship should be a sin with 6 years of work experience. The created threads are mostly about hypothetical scenarios and frankly all of this seems like a waste of time and nonsense to me.

I’m sorry if my tone is harsh. But I will be honest where I can.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Bayes View Post
    Dogbones, I looked through your created threads and I do not think you should pursue a PhD in Econ. Not only do you severely lack any research experience; you are also spinning in wheels with the same questions and naivety. Most of your created threads could be solved by simply searching through the right keywords in urch and finding your answers. For which, is also an essential part of research. In 2018, you stated that you would begin an MA in 2019 whilst taking math classes prior to that. Then, you wanted to prepare even further so you postponed it to fall 2020. From my understanding, you graduated in 2013 and have been out of the game for close to 6 years now and you still are thinking about ‘internships’ or learn how to access econ datasets(which signifies you have not done any RA job & puts doubts on your whatever number of working papers); plus, the word internship should be a sin with 6 years of work experience. The created threads are mostly about hypothetical scenarios and frankly all of this seems like a waste of time and nonsense to me.

I’m sorry if my tone is harsh. But I will be honest where I can.
    Hi, well the internships are no longer being considered and have been replaced by presenting my research in progress at local conferences. That should be a step in the right direction!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Hi dogbones. From what I can see the University of Hawaii doesn't post their master's placements, but I know you have some insider knowledge. Since students occasionally ask me about master's programs, could you post here information about Hawaii's recent placement record?

Mahalo
    Hi: so actually the MA placements are found in the same place as the PhD placements, they are indicated by "(MA)" next to the name... sadly a lot of the placements are not posted and I do not have that much insider information, but the older cohorts have more MA placements, as can be found here: Economics Department-University of Hawaii ...

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoecon View Post
    Okay, so you took the graduate-level econ classes apparently (three of them?) How did you do in them? And I'm not too sure how programs handle you re-taking these courses, if you have already done so at the same institution, and passed.

Re: placements - Where has Hawaii placed its graduates?

And I second tutonic's comments - from my experience, the problem sets are very long, the material difficult. There is a lot of content to study. It seems very unrealistic to take on a second degree in addition to advanced math courses + PhD core + TA/RA responsibilities. That's setting yourself up to earn mediocre grades somewhere down the line in a class you cannot afford to, given your school.

I know you mention you are buying books to study. But ultimately, it comes down to you being able to actually commit and do the work. Reading math everyday should help your preparation. You don't need to spend a lot of money on analysis texts like Rudin or Rosenlicht. You need to develop your intuition, and that takes time.

You have gotten mediocre grades in some of your math classes. You do not need to respond to this, but you should think carefully about why that happened. Is it just a knowledge gap, or is it something else? Failing to consider this will ultimately result in the same outcome as your undergraduate math classes.
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments! The reasons some of my math grades were not up to my standards (A grades) is because (a) I was naive and thought college was just like high school where the material trickles down instead of blowing up in your face like I think it does in college especially in higher math, (b) I was overconfident and didn't think I needed to live in a cave just to get by in college math which I now see that many people actually do, and (c) I wasn't that competitive and also didn't know that I was in the same room as engineering majors, and than these engineering majors were really good at math. Basically, I was living in a funny bubble and am glad that I now see the light rays shining onto earth as I now look to get ahead of the game well in advance.

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Hi: so actually the MA placements are found in the same place as the PhD placements, they are indicated by "(MA)" next to the name... sadly a lot of the placements are not posted and I do not have that much insider information, but the older cohorts have more MA placements, as can be found here: Economics Department-University of Hawaii ...
    Thanks. I note they do not report any MA placements in the last 8 years. You should be concerned about this.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Thanks. I note they do not report any MA placements in the last 8 years. You should be concerned about this.
    Iím not concerned because the website also shows all grad students and there are a good number of MA students there mixed in with PhD students... Iím not trying to squeeze too much juice out of the MA since Hawaii is the perfect fit for me.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

I’m not concerned because the website also shows all grad students and there are a good number of MA students there mixed in with PhD students... I’m not trying to squeeze too much juice out of the MA since Hawaii is the perfect fit for me.
    You're interested in continuing on to a PhD program. Many master's programs give great professional training while not usually sending students on to PhD programs. I don't know about Hawaii. You should be sure that they regularly send students on to the kind of PhD program you would like to attend.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Fit doesn't, and shouldn't, factor into the decision to pursue a masters. The only metric of any importance, is the placement strength of the masters programme. Fit only enters the picture when you're deciding on which PhD programme to apply to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information