Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2020 Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Well with the cycle winding down, this was definitely a terrible experience hahaha. Expectations were definitely different from reality, but I think this is good prep for life in academia. Are we anticipating April 15 to be wild with a ton of movement and offers?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

It's past Mid March. There are rarely any admits during this period. Most of the action will happen in the second week of April, right before and right after April 15th.

economist

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by applyingforecon View Post
    snip. Are we anticipating April 15 to be wild with a ton of movement and offers?
    Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    It's past Mid March. There are rarely any admits during this period. Most of the action will happen in the second week of April, right before and right after April 15th.
    Let me add two points here.
    (1) Some schools basically admit only the number of spots they have, and are therefore likely to go to their wait list whenever someone turns them down. Most schools admit based roughly on expected yield, so some number of turn downs are expected before going to their waitlist.

(2) If you have multiple admits, don't turn any of them down until you are very sure you won't be going to a place. But as soon as you are sure it will help out everyone if you make your turn down as early as possible. Most turn downs seem to come in on April 15. That means departments can't easily go to their waitlist until then. That means some people are in the position of accepting an offer only to get off the waitlist from a preferred school later. (If this happens to you, it can be remedied.)

So once you're really sure you're not going to a school that's accepted you, please tell them so. They'll be appreciative, not offended.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

What is the polite way to turn down an offer? Should I follow up with a thank-you email to the program director/professors who interviewed me after declining the offer on the application portal?

I'm asking because I applied to some programs in business school and they only gave out a handful of offers. I've already attended the admit day and talked to many professors. Thought it might be blunt to just decline it online without any follow-up emails...

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

The polite way is to do it quickly. The follow-up email is certainly courteous, but it's not necessary unless you spent a really long time with someone.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

This might seem like a somewhat juvenile question but in what frequency are the yearly stipends disbursed? One lump sum at the start of the semester or? I ask because I'm trying to calculate how much I'll need to accumulate now to tide me over till I get my stipend.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Usually monthly, as far as I can tell. Some unis might do them at the start of every term though.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanps View Post
    Usually monthly, as far as I can tell. Some unis might do them at the start of every term though.
    Oh, that's good then if we get it at the beginning of the term regardless of the amount. If that's the case, an initial endowment of approximately $10k should be sufficient to tide me over till the first stipend right?

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    This might seem like a somewhat juvenile question but in what frequency are the yearly stipends disbursed? One lump sum at the start of the semester or? I ask because I'm trying to calculate how much I'll need to accumulate now to tide me over till I get my stipend.
    In some cases stipends are paid like a paycheck, meaning at the end of the month. On a quarter system, first paycheck might be Nov. 1.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    In some cases stipends are paid like a paycheck, meaning at the end of the month. On a quarter system, first paycheck might be Nov. 1.
    Got it. I'll just email the school about it then, just to be safe. The worst thing that can happen is I run out of money and have to ration my consumption and the like, for the first couple months.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread Information