See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: 2020 Sweat Thread

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2020 Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by econknower View Post
    anyone have any clue how likely it is to move off the waitlist into a funded position? not necessarily strategy of getting off the wl like below (edit: previous posts, above, I mean) but just in general how often these moves actually happen?

probably pretty random between schools and i'm sure things won't be getting spicy until it gets closer to april 15th? extremely likely none of this will actually inform me of my chances of moving off the waitlists i'm on :// but i've never let the fear of a post being pointless keep me from posting before and i won't start now
    Are you asking how likely is it that, if you are admitted off the waitlist, you'll also have funding? Varies from school to school, but I would imagine that most schools (mine included) only have a waitlist for funded offers. That is, we only admit people with funding. So when someone comes off the waitlist, they get admitted and funded.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

I am still waiting for UCLA. Do you guys think there is still a chance at this point?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

I wonder how will the COVID 19 situation affects F1 visa application process. I have been working towards my dream of doing an Economics PhD in the US for years and finally got an offer this year. Hopefully, my dream will not be crushed by this global pandemic. And to all of you who see this message, stay well!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bwl1993 View Post
    I wonder how will the COVID 19 situation affects F1 visa application process. I have been working towards my dream of doing an Economics PhD in the US for years and finally got an offer this year. Hopefully, my dream will not be crushed by this global pandemic. And to all of you who see this message, stay well!
    The only problematic thing is the short interview at the US embassy necessary for all F-1 visa applications since the US embassy in my country has cancelled all nonimmigrant visa appointments temporarily. I've already gotten my completed I-20 form from the school, and am now just waiting for the visa appointment to open again before I can finally complete the process.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

The U.S. has suspended almost all visa services in most​ countries. We're going to have to all hope this gets resolved in a timely way.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

A friend on mine in the US said that if things don't go back to normal in terms of travel fairly soon, it's conceivable that universities might decide to defer the places of all foreign students for a year and give out more places to American students for this year, the idea being that it's better to do it now and make sure they have a full class, rather than wait until August, find out that foreign students still can't enter the country and have a half-empty program for the year. Does this sound like something they could do or is a pre-emptive response like that out of the question?

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Universities have pretty much already sent out acceptances. I can't imagine a department reneging on offers already made.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Universities have pretty much already sent out acceptances. I can't imagine a department reneging on offers already made.
    I wouldn't expect them to go back on offers they have already made, but I'm sure there are still a fair few people on waitlists whose decisions won't yet have been made.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by LJS View Post
    I wouldn't expect them to go back on offers they have already made, but I'm sure there are still a fair few people on waitlists whose decisions won't yet have been made.
    That's a good point.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread Information