See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2020 Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by LJS View Post
    For waitlists, if you were on a waitlist and also have an offer from a lower ranked school, is it best to say/is there an advantage to saying which school and program it is that you have an offer from, or do they only expect you to tell them whether or not you have an offer that you would prefer over the waitlist school?

Also if you were on the waitlists for two similar schools, is there any advantage to telling them both that you're on the other's waitlist, or do you risk them putting you further down the list if they think you might receive and accept an offer from somewhere else that they might perceive as better? Generally I figure that honesty is the best policy but it also feels like it would be easy to do something silly without realising it.

I was told by a prof that there is an advantage to tell "I have x, y, z acceptance, I would most probably accept your offer if you give me".

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by LJS View Post
    For waitlists, if you were on a waitlist and also have an offer from a lower ranked school, is it best to say/is there an advantage to saying which school and program it is that you have an offer from, or do they only expect you to tell them whether or not you have an offer that you would prefer over the waitlist school?

Also if you were on the waitlists for two similar schools, is there any advantage to telling them both that you're on the other's waitlist, or do you risk them putting you further down the list if they think you might receive and accept an offer from somewhere else that they might perceive as better? Generally I figure that honesty is the best policy but it also feels like it would be easy to do something silly without realising it.

Seems to me that you should imply to every school you are waitlisted at that they are your top choice. I see no reason to be forthcoming, unless you think admissions committees from different schools are communicating about specific applicants (seems highly unlikely). Admissions people may realize this is "cheap talk" but I don't think it would hurt.

Having offers or even waitlists from other schools would marginally decrease your likelihood of attending, so I wouldn't mention it unless you can present it in a way that seems to increase your chance of accepting. E.g. "I am waitlisted at X, but even if they accepted me I would still be very interested in Y".

Don't lie, but play the game to the extent you can. Once you're in, you're in.

EDIT: softened my language.
    Last edited by TenukiMario; 03-06-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Re-worded.

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TenukiMario View Post
    Seems to me that you should tell every school you are waitlisted at that they are your top choice. I see no reason to be honest

Don't lie, but play the game to the extent you can. Once you're in, you're in.
    No reason to be honest, but don't lie?????

Telling a school you are there first choice and then not coming is definitely lying.

You are correct that you can probably get away with it. But if you get caught you might find your career is over before it begins.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    No reason to be honest, but don't lie?????

Telling a school you are there first choice and then not coming is definitely lying.

You are correct that you can probably get away with it. But if you get caught you might find your career is over before it begins.
    "No reason to be honest" was the wrong wording. My point is there is no reason to be *completely forthcoming* with your private information, and without lying you should imply as much as possible to every school that you will go there. I came off too strong above (you shouldn't outright lie), but you should not tell the complete truth if it has any marginal chance of hurting you. Unless you're asked very specifically.

Don't tell every admissions person directly that their school is your top choice. But it's not dishonest to imply that they are - that's just basic negotiation, par for the course for any job opportunity.

Good post? Yes | No

Does anyone know when Boston and/or UCSB plan to release their decisions or whether they have done it already? Based on the data from gradcafe from the previous years they used to release it earlier but this year no one so far has posted their admissions decisions for these schools neither here nor on gradcafe. Thanks!

Good post? Yes | No

Anyone heard from UCLA? Also any guess on whether UCSD has sent out all acceptances? GradCafe doesn't seem to have a lot of posts for these two schools...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by angela213213 View Post
    Anyone heard from UCLA? Also any guess on whether UCSD has sent out all acceptances? GradCafe doesn't seem to have a lot of posts for these two schools...
    I got an acceptance from UCLA on 2/26 though the graduate division, but there hasnít been any contact from the department about funding etc. I applied to UCSD too, but I havenít heard anything from them.

Good post? Yes | No

anyone know when Oxford Mphil results will be out? seems like people had already heard back by this time last year.

Good post? Yes | No

anyone have any clue how likely it is to move off the waitlist into a funded position? not necessarily strategy of getting off the wl like below (edit: previous posts, above, I mean) but just in general how often these moves actually happen?

probably pretty random between schools and i'm sure things won't be getting spicy until it gets closer to april 15th? extremely likely none of this will actually inform me of my chances of moving off the waitlists i'm on :// but i've never let the fear of a post being pointless keep me from posting before and i won't start now
    Last edited by econknower; 03-11-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: the wall of posts cascades down like a waterfall rather than floating up into the heavens like a balloon

Eager!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

It seems like with coronavirus, a lot of applicants are either dead or not wanna talk about their applications!

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread Information