Urch Forums

Which course to take?

therealslimkt

Which is better from an admissions signalling perspective?

1. Advanced econometrics (uses Greene, focuses on going beyond OLS to IV, limited dependent variables, etc)

2. Mechanism design course in CS department (similar to Algorithmic Game Theory (CS364A), Fall 2013)

3. Stochastic processes

I've heard that math courses are better signals than econ courses, but advanced econometrics specifically seems pretty important for admissions, so I'm not sure. I'm also unsure how the CS course (which has quite a lot of overlap with mechanism design econ) would be evaluated.

It ultimately depends on the courses that you already have under your belt right now. If you can list them here, it'll be helpful.

That being said, if the Metrics course uses Greene, it's not going to be very rigorous (as compared to one that uses Hayashi/Hansen/Wooldridge) since Greene's book has more of an applied flavour to it as compared to the rest of them. Stochastic processes will be used in both time series econometrics and in some parts of macro. It'll make more sense to take that instead of the econometrics course.