Urch Forums

Is the Tufts MS any good for getting into a top 20 PhD program?

EarthTreks

You can email them for placement information. Also, what do you mean by fit? Fit should never enter into the equation when considering a preparatory masters since the only metric worth considering is how well the programme can place into PhD programmes (since that is your eventual goal).

Well I do not know many economist either. I just look at them based on where they have gotten their PhD Econ from. That will give you the idea of how strong the faculty is in the school.

This isn't a very good measure of the strength of faculty.. You need to consider a multitude of things if you're assessing the strength of the faculty; the school they graduated from, their publication record, how many juniors end up getting tenured, how often are there senior departures in the departments (these are just the bare minimum).

However, all these shouldn't be your concern till you are on the job market, at the start of Year 5. Echoing what I said earlier, the only metric that you should concern yourself with, when it comes to selecting a masters programme is the placement strength of said programme. The placement strength will also provide you with information on the perceived rigour of the courses. If placement information isn't available on their websites, you should email the programme admin directly and see if they can provide you with such a list.

The quality of instruction is weakly correlated with research ability as they require somewhat different skillsets; the former being more important for a masters, while the latter is a more important consideration when it comes to selecting where you ought to apply to for PhD programmes.

However, all these shouldn't be your concern till you are on the job market, at the start of Year 5. Echoing what I said earlier, the only metric that you should concern yourself with, when it comes to selecting a masters programme is the placement strength of said programme. The placement strength will also provide you with information on the perceived rigour of the courses. If placement information isn't available on their websites, you should email the programme admin directly and see if they can provide you with such a list.

Hey, so I got the placement info for Tufts:

Graduating 2019: University of California, Davis, Michigan State University, Singapore Management University, University of Southern California, Washington University in St. Louis.

Graduating 2018: University of Toronto, UC Davis, Harvard Business School.

Graduating 2017: University of Maryland and Cornell University.

Graduating 2016: George Washington University and University of Illinois.

Graduating 2015: University of Minnesota and Rutgers University.

Graduating 2014: University of Virginia, Cornell University, University of Colorado, Boulder

Graduating 2013: University of California, San Diego, University of Southern California, University of Pennsylvania, Brown University, University of Illinois.

2012: University of California Santa Barbara, Cornell University, Iowa State University, Duke University.

Is this good?

Whether these placements are good I think are dependent on your targeted range. Some years it seems like a hit or miss on the top 10-30 range. If your eyes are set on top 50, then it is a good program! Also, you cannot assume you will be the top student and go to these places. Every person entering the program thinks that way. So factor in that aspect as well!