Urch Forums

AEA Summer Program

bear0906

I am in the process of filling out an application to the AEA summer program and noticed that the approximate costs are listed (FAQ section) as just over $25,000.00. Does anyone that is a past attendee know if that is correct or are there scholarships available that are not listed or are students expected to use loans or hope to have wealthy parents?

The $25,000 is for students who are not America citizens or permanent residents. American citizens and permanent residents receive a stipend of several thousand dollars. I don't think there is scholarship money for nondomestic students.

Note also "Preference will be given to applicants who, by their background, life experience, and scholarship can show they will bring greater diversity to the field and who also demonstrate financial need."

Edited by startz

*an under-represented minority group as defined by the AEA itself, thereby excluding Asian-Americans and all non-US citizens despite them being minority groups within the US and the economics profession.

I' m not quite sure of the point being made here, but the fraction of faculty who are Asian-American is higher than the fraction in the population. I haven't seen data about the fraction of economists who were born outside the United States, but I suspect it is higher than the fraction of the general population born outside the United States.

The point is twofold:

1) Economics is a global profession, and the proportion of economists who are Asian is far below the proportion of the global population that is Asian; and

2) By implying that Asians are not a minority, the AEA ignores the fact that Asian economists are subject to substantial discrimination (similar to how other under-represented minorities are discriminated against).

Thankfully some AEA members recognise this and are trying to change things, but it's a very slow process precisely due to the failure of others to recognise the discrimination that Asians face.