Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Evaluation: Do I have a chance to get an offer from those universities?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation: Do I have a chance to get an offer from those universities?

Sponsored Ad:
    Well I think it would but taking pure mathematics courses since they are hard, gives a greater indicator that you're a capable student of doing the PhD coursework. I think you should just wait to see what will happen with your applications since you applied them already and if you do not get accepted, maybe you can take some classes in summer or fall.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation: Do I have a chance to get an offer from those universities?

Quote Originally Posted by ahududu View Post
    Well I think it would but taking pure mathematics courses since they are hard, gives a greater indicator that you're a capable student of doing the PhD coursework. I think you should just wait to see what will happen with your applications since you applied them already and if you do not get accepted, maybe you can take some classes in summer or fall.
    Yes, I'm seeking for some other programs of which deadline is relatively late, such as Auburn, but I'm still thinking of whether to apply since may not worth to attend. More pure math coursework can compensate for poor performances of old math courses, but I guess econometrics coursework can also work well and may be an option better than typology. And a good Quantitative score of GRE should be also helpful. Someone told me that it should be at least 168, but I took the exam three times and still just got 166.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Unless you are planning on working in a very limited set of areas, you have no need for PDE or topology. Real analysis is important for top schools, but not for all schools.

It can pay to take more math purely for signalling purposes...assuming you are able to get very good grades.
    Im currently a first year at a ~50 ranked PhD, Im one of few in my cohort without real analysis, and our first semester stats course seemed to assume some knowledge in the subject. I made it thought the class just fine, but I wish I had taken real analysis.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectlyaverag View Post
    Im currently a first year at a ~50 ranked PhD, Im one of few in my cohort without real analysis, and our first semester stats course seemed to assume some knowledge in the subject. I made it thought the class just fine, but I wish I had taken real analysis.
    I didn't mean to suggest that real analysis isn't valuable. It is. In particular, for many people this course is where they learn how to do proofs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information