Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you rate my chances at getting into these economics masters?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Can you rate my chances at getting into these economics masters?

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    I got into Bocconi and BGSE a couple years back with a BSc in Accounting and Finance, with about your level of math so you should be fine. These masters programme aren't too rigorous in their admissions requirement since they are a source of income for the school, and they recognise that students from other disciplines want to use them to move into Economics. As long as you have a decent GPA and good letters supporting your academic capabilities, it shouldn't be too hard to get in. Doing well in the courses, however, is another matter altogether.
    Thanks! This is very reassuring. I will definitely be applying to both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by phd2020 View Post
    If you are concerned about the lack of Econ background, try looking into the Dutch research masters programs as well (Tilburg, UvA, Rotterdam ERIM), these tend to be more relax in requirement, or a more general Quantitative Methods program and take extra Econ courses (Master economics QEM: Study programme. Central European University (Admission Requirements | Department of Economics and Business) or CERGE-EI in Czech also have good MA programs in term of placement that don't require an Econ background. (and would be much cheaper than US cash-cow programs).
    These are some very interesting recommendations. I'd seen the QEM program before and noticed they have a preparation year in Paris 1 called the Mathematical Methods in Economics and Finance, which looks like it could be right up my alley. (Universite Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne: First Year of Graduate Studies: University Diploma in Mathematical Methods, Economics and Finance (MMEF)). My concern with the QEM is that its placements don't seem too great.

I hadn't heard about CEU before but apparently it's well respected. And, like you said, they emphasize that you don't need a background in economics, which is great! Do you know about their placements? (And CERGE-EI's?) They don't list them on their website...

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

CEU has very small MA cohort size (~15-20/year), and out of those around 5-7 would be placed to top 20-30 programs in the US. That is actually a very good rate, considering people who wants to stay in Europe or international students who want to go back home. If you are an American, I think your chance would be really good for top 20 assuming you perform well in the CEU's MA.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I would recommend applying in Tilburg as well. The program is rigorous and we have placed students in prestigious PhD programs in the past. Feel free to reach out (I'm a faculty member there) if you want more information.

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you all for the advice.

One more question: I graduated 3 years ago and don't really feel comfortable asking any of my college professors for a recommendation letter. Will having letters from job supervisors affect my chances that much? One of them is a well-known PhD (in political science, not economics) so I'm fairly comfortable with him assessing my academic capabilities. But the other is just a standard industry person.

Good post? Yes | No

In master's level you may get away with that but in PhD applications, there is no way...

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ahududu View Post
    In master's level you may get away with that but in PhD applications, there is no way...
    Yeah part of the benefit I see in doing the master's is getting those lettters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information