Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for 2020

coolbeanz

Type of Undergrad: Top 20 US News econ private university, majors in econ and philosophy

Undergrad GPA: 3.76

Type of Grad: None

Grad GPA: None

GRE: 168V, 170Q, 4W

Math Courses: Multivariable Calculus (A), Linear Algebra (A), Probability (A), Real Analysis (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): None

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro I (A-), Micro II (A+), Macro (A-), Econometrics (A)

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ profs (thesis advisor + thesis workshop prof) 1 philosophy prof

Research Experience: 1 year at econ consulting firm, honors thesis

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: IO, Macro

SOP: In progress

Concerns:

1) Should I take differential equations? Would the marginal benefit be worth taking it (would have to do it online)?

2) Should I switch the last phil prof rec to someone who worked at the econ consulting firm to discuss my research abilities?

3) Applying to RA-ships right now: is it worth doing two years of RA to add to my profile? I want to do a one year RA to experience doing research in an academic environment, not just in industry. Would a rec letter from an RA-ship be worth waiting a year?

Other: Working at a random analyst job in business right now

Applying to: all programs from top 6 - 20, and a few in the top 5 just to have the peace of mind. I know I have somewhat of a strange background and would love any and all perspectives on whether this is a reasonable goal.

Thanks so much!

Econ consulting letter strictly dominates phil professor letter - a philosophy professor cannot accurately assess your qualifications for economics PhD programs.

DiffEq is not hugely beneficial, though unclear what the opportunity cost is in your situation.

This profile is weird: are you leaving out most of your classes? You did an econ major and you only have 4 classes in econ?