See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: European master's as stepping stone to Top 10 US PhD

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: European master's as stepping stone to Top 10 US PhD

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayes View Post
    The ‘year’ requirement really depends on how soon you can secure excellent letters of rec from well known professors. Tutonic says 2-3 years because its unlikely one will be given important work in their first year before they have proven their research/programming skills. So it takes time (2 years).
    This is true, but there's actually something even stronger. Applications go in during the Fall. If you've only been an RA for a few months there won't be enough information for someone to give you a good letter.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: European master's as stepping stone to Top 10 US PhD

Quote Originally Posted by whis View Post
    Good to know. I wasn't aware that you needed a full 2-3 years of academic RA experience to be competitive for top 10 (I do have +3 years of experience working on economic research projects in the private sector, but I do know that it isn't the same).

Still struggling with the decision bc the Top 20 program that I got into isn't particularly a good fit for me in terms of research interests. I still have to hear from some programs, so we'll see.

Thank you for your advice!
    I generally put a lot of weight on tutonic's advice. I think I agree with his advice about taking a top 20, but with somewhat different logic. You are short of math for a very top program. You can remedy that with a master's. Or with an RA position. I don't think you need both. But either one will take two years because of the timing of application process. And frankly, "a bird in the hand" (Apologies if this is an American-only colloquialism.)

The argument about the Top 20 program not being a good research fit is something you should think about carefully. Many students change their area of interest while in grad school. But if you're very, very sure about your interests and the program isn't a good fit than that does deserve some consideration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information