Urch Forums

LSE Econometrics and Mathematical Economics MSc or BGSE Masters Economics

econmasters1994

I have been admitted to both LSEs EME and BGSE Masters in Economics. Both of them are unfunded. I just wondered which has the best outcomes in terms of PhD placements? I have looked at some of the data on the websites but also wanted to get a second opinion on here! In terms of research interests, I am interested primarily in Empirical Macro.

Additionally:

1) If I attend BGSE, I would take the advanced track.

2) I have no prior research experience.

3) LSE's course is twice the price of BGSE advanced track!

LSE is much better known internationally* and is a respected institution (if in the foreseeable future you decide that an Econ PhD is not for you). So you need to factor this into your discounting equation as well!. Since you would take the advanced track, I think LSE EME is a better option as it will be similar in difficulty but more importantly LSE gives you much more leeway career-wise.

*Better known internationally from the perspective of employers. Not talking about Econ PhD programs.

Thank you Bayes.

I'm certain on a PhD and have been for the last few years.

The reason that I am asking this question is that if I assume that the BGSE Advanced Track and LSE EME Econ are equal in terms of placing me into top tier PhD programmes, then the substantially cheaper programme at BGSE is advantageous for me as I will have to take out a sizeable loan to fund either of the programmes.

However, if LSE has a significant advantage over BGSE in terms of academic placement, then I think it's worth me to swallow the cost.

Assuming that you aren't financially constrained, LSE's EME is the better option. As Bayes said, the name-brand of LSE will be helpful. For what it's worth, I know of a senior who went to LSE MSc Econ, and then made it into Top 20 a few years ago. When he asked the DGS some time later, he found out that the reason he got in was, in part, due to him being from LSE, even though his results were decent (but not great).

Assuming that you aren't financially constrained, LSE's EME is the better option. As Bayes said, the name-brand of LSE will be helpful. For what it's worth, I know of a senior who went to LSE MSc Econ, and then made it into Top 20 a few years ago. When he asked the DGS some time later, he found out that the reason he got in was, in part, due to him being from LSE, even though his results were decent (but not great).

Hi Tutonic, thanks for the advice! That reinforces my prior beliefs in this case.