Urch Forums

Canadian MA vs LSE MSc

timeseries

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been lucky enough this season to get into great programs. I’ve received an acceptance into all three M.A. Economics programs at top 3 Canadian universities (Queens, UofT, UBC) with 18K in funding. I've also been accepted into LSE MSc Statistics, without any funding. My long term goal is to complete a PhD in Econometrics.

I am currently living in Canada, so it would be much easier and affordable for me to continue at a Canadian program. I can still afford LSE with a little debt.

My question is whether going to LSE would have significant long term advantages over attending one of the other programs? Are the advantages that LSE offers in terms of a better international reputation worth forgoing a generous scholarship for ?

Congratulations on your acceptances! An MSc in Statistics will not necessarily send a strong positive signal to the admissions committee when you apply for the PhD in the future, especially in a place like LSE where you need to put a lot of efforts to get a distinction.