Urch Forums

COVID-19 Concerns

timeseries

Hi,

Do you think that the situation right now might impact all the international students that would be looking to get student visas this summer? Or do you suppose it will calm down by the summer ?

Has anyone received information from universities regarding this ?

Thanks ! Stay safe and wash your hands.

Hi timeseries, I was also thinking about this since I am also an international student looking to start Ph.D. this year. I guess if things get worse, universities will either push the program to Spring next year or start with online classes for a semester (many places are already doing this). But let's hope that things will get better in the next 4-5 months. Fingers crossed!

Same here. I may be optimistic but I think by summer the restrictions would be lifted or at least loosened. Otherwise I think what SSh described seems like a reasonable course of actions.

I was also thinking how does the COVID-19 affect the admission process at the moment? If the colleges close down, would it slow down the decisions that are still yet to be made (eg regarding applicants that have been waitlisted).

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

I'm a Director of Graduate Studies. We have not been given any information about next year. I don't think anyone knows anything at this point and we are just trying to figure out how to finish this year.

Our decision process isn't slowed down. That stuff is easy to do from home.

Thank you everyone for sharing your perspectives. I have the option between a program in my country of residence and a program in the UK. I was initially leaning towards the UK program. But with all the travel restrictions in place right now (and who knows how long they will last), I’m worried that it might be too big of a risk.

I'm a Director of Graduate Studies. We have not been given any information about next year. I don't think anyone knows anything at this point and we are just trying to figure out how to finish this year.

I am wondering whether this situation could affect the number of offer slots. For instance, the problems in government fellowship might lead the schools to give less offers, not to extend their declined slots to the waitlisted students..

I am wondering whether this situation could affect the number of offer slots. For instance, the problems in government fellowship might lead the schools to give less offers, not to extend their declined slots to the waitlisted students..

As tbe says, no one really knows how this is going to affect next year. But at this point pretty much everyone has already made their decisions about acceptances and putting people on waitlists.

I'm not sure what you mean about "problems in government fellowship" ???

My guess...but it's only a guess...is that more international students than usual may decide not to come and that this will mean schools will be more likely to go to their waitlist. But it's too early to know if this might happen.

I'm not sure what you mean about "problems in government fellowship" ???

POI told me that they are checking with the government fellowship issue and that this process is making the delays in their offer extension. :upset: I also understand that it is too early to conclude hastily but I cannot help myself being anxious about the situation.

Honestly, I’m surprised by how much the situation has changed in the 10 days since I created this thread. When I first asked this question, it was just a concern at the back of my mind. Now with my province in a state of emergency, I’m sure that my TOEFL scheduled in April is at least going to be affected by this.

I hope universities are understanding for those of us who face a difficult time in fulfilling the conditions of our admission.