Urch Forums

April 15 Deadline

jdl7851

So, I’ve been hearing that some schools may give offers shortly after April 15. The two schools that I am fully admitted to with funding so far have said that they want a decision by April 15 and the offer may not last beyond that. Furthermore, the one I’m learning towards said that they want a form signed that they say is considered “binding”. If I were to accept one of these offer (potentially signing a form) would I have a realistic opportunity to accept a better offer if it come shortly after April 15, or would I have to take a gamble on whether I think I would get in or not? How often do people switch shortly after April 15?

So, I’ve been hearing that some schools may give offers shortly after April 15. The two schools that I am fully admitted to with funding so far have said that they want a decision by April 15 and the offer may not last beyond that. Furthermore, the one I’m learning towards said that they want a form signed that they say is considered “binding”. If I were to accept one of these offer (potentially signing a form) would I have a realistic opportunity to accept a better offer if it come shortly after April 15, or would I have to take a gamble on whether I think I would get in or not? How often do people switch shortly after April 15?

American graduate schools pretty much all subscribe to a policy with a uniform April 15th deadline. (Does not apply outside the States.)

When you sign an offer on April 15th it is binding.

However, you can ask a school for a "release" to attend elsewhere. I can't imagine a school not granting the release, as no one really wants a student who doesn't want to be there.

Yes, there is some moving around after April 15.

I agree. I'm a Director of Graduate Studies and this is what I tell people we've admitted to our program: accept your best offer by April 15. If you change your mind after that date, you ask for a release. As startz said, the program doesn't have to grant it but I would be shocked if this happened.

On my end, when I make an offer after April 15, I tell the person that if they already accepted another offer then they need to obtain a written/email release from this program before they can accept our offer.