Sponsored Ad:

Thread: April 15 Deadline

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

April 15 Deadline

Sponsored Ad:
    So, Iíve been hearing that some schools may give offers shortly after April 15. The two schools that I am fully admitted to with funding so far have said that they want a decision by April 15 and the offer may not last beyond that. Furthermore, the one Iím learning towards said that they want a form signed that they say is considered ďbindingĒ. If I were to accept one of these offer (potentially signing a form) would I have a realistic opportunity to accept a better offer if it come shortly after April 15, or would I have to take a gamble on whether I think I would get in or not? How often do people switch shortly after April 15?

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: April 15 Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by jdl7851 View Post
    So, Iíve been hearing that some schools may give offers shortly after April 15. The two schools that I am fully admitted to with funding so far have said that they want a decision by April 15 and the offer may not last beyond that. Furthermore, the one Iím learning towards said that they want a form signed that they say is considered ďbindingĒ. If I were to accept one of these offer (potentially signing a form) would I have a realistic opportunity to accept a better offer if it come shortly after April 15, or would I have to take a gamble on whether I think I would get in or not? How often do people switch shortly after April 15?
    American graduate schools pretty much all subscribe to a policy with a uniform April 15th deadline. (Does not apply outside the States.)

When you sign an offer on April 15th it is binding.

However, you can ask a school for a "release" to attend elsewhere. I can't imagine a school not granting the release, as no one really wants a student who doesn't want to be there.

Yes, there is some moving around after April 15.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: April 15 Deadline

I agree. I'm a Director of Graduate Studies and this is what I tell people we've admitted to our program: accept your best offer by April 15. If you change your mind after that date, you ask for a release. As startz said, the program doesn't have to grant it but I would be shocked if this happened.

On my end, when I make an offer after April 15, I tell the person that if they already accepted another offer then they need to obtain a written/email release from this program before they can accept our offer.

Thread Information