Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pass/Fail for Graduate Admissions Because of CoVid-19

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Pass/Fail for Graduate Admissions Because of CoVid-19

Sponsored Ad:
    Honestly, I have no idea how the admissions committees are going to handle this. Good luck to you startz.

For one, they cannot penalize people for the mandatory P/F being out of their control - but there's a massive question mark that remains; it is literally like the transcript comes with "between A+ and C" for each class.

At the same time, they will want to give due credit to people who were able to get high marks in difficult classes like real analysis or graduate micro.

Especially for those that are coming from less prestigious institutions, I hope that this doesn't mean committees will put slightly less weights on coursework and more on letters, because taking difficult (i.e. graduate/advanced undergraduate) coursework is one of the big "equalizers" someone who is not coming from a top undergraduate institution can do to break into a top-30 school.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

This period of doubt is when we'll see the character of graduate admissions. I suspect its going to be extremely unequal, with no regard for the context of the grades.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by therealslimkt View Post
    This period of doubt is when we'll see the character of graduate admissions. I suspect its going to be extremely unequal, with no regard for the context of the grades.
    I suspect you're right. And as coloradoecon suggests above, it's not clear just what admission committees should do.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Or even what they can do!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    I suspect you're right. And as coloradoecon suggests above, it's not clear just what admission committees should do.
    The most fair solution in my opinion would be to discount spring 2020 for *all* applicants. Pretend it never happened. Variance might increase with this smaller academic sample but it would be much less biased.

economist

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

The most fair solution in my opinion would be to discount spring 2020 for *all* applicants. Pretend it never happened. Variance might increase with this smaller academic sample but it would be much less biased.
    But how do we compare someone who took real analysis in a previous term with someone who took it in the Spring? We don't want to act as is the latter never took the course.

Let me also say I appreciate the discussion on this topic because I may have to figure out what to do about the situation for next year's admits. Hearing various suggestions and viewpoints is helpful.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Perhaps you could put out a request that the relevant professors somehow send the class rank (for the class they taught) of the student in the transcript package? This way, the professor does not need to determine curved grades, and can easily do this by looking at the data. This does seem like it is additional work, but perhaps it'll inform your judgment and provide for some fairness.

However, this does seem to go against the purpose of the mandatory P/F system..

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoecon View Post
    Perhaps you could put out a request that the relevant professors somehow send the class rank (for the class they taught) of the student in the transcript package? This way, the professor does not need to determine curved grades, and can easily do this by looking at the data. This does seem like it is additional work, but perhaps it'll inform your judgment and provide for some fairness.

However, this does seem to go against the purpose of the mandatory P/F system..
    Not everyone will have a class rank. Especially, if the grade is pass/fall. Perhaps more importantly, we need something with a low administrative burden.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    But how do we compare someone who took real analysis in a previous term with someone who took it in the Spring? We don't want to act as is the latter never took the course.

Let me also say I appreciate the discussion on this topic because I may have to figure out what to do about the situation for next year's admits. Hearing various suggestions and viewpoints is helpful.
    You can compare them on dimensions other than real analysis, and if absolutely necessary, you can impute a likely real analysis grade based on other math course grades. I'm sure that in 6 semesters they will have taken some courses that can be used as proxies.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

You can compare them on dimensions other than real analysis, and if absolutely necessary, you can impute a likely real analysis grade based on other math course grades. I'm sure that in 6 semesters they will have taken some courses that can be used as proxies.
    That's not a bad idea. Though I like to point out that some colleges like the New School have mandated an A/A- policy were the only passing grades students will get is A/A-. An "A for all" policy. How can adcom deal with that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information