Urch Forums

Decision Advise?

jdl7851

Okay, I've posted a few times on here before on different parts of this issue, but I would just like to gather any opinions on the whole thing. I narrowed my consideration between 2 Ph.D. programs, say Iowa State and Mizzou (I accepted Mizzou). I want to study macro and want to get a job in academia doing at least some research. I found the Mizzou (program and professors) usually ranks higher than Iowa State on macro (according to RePEc), but Iowa State usually ranks higher otherwise and has a better track record at getting students into academic positions. I also chose Mizzou so that I can maintain personal relationships better (family and friends are within 2 hours from Mizzou - and I have problems with seizures) and because the department at Mizzou also seems very eager to have me join their program (I have had more than one professor reach out to me and have been offered a fellowship). Based on this, I'm guessing I would be given more opportunities at Mizzou. I am wondering if you guys think I made the right choice (if not, is it worth reaching out to Iowa State to see if I can still get in)? Also, what do you think are my odds at getting an academic position (ideally research) and how do you recommend I do to maximize my chances?

Iowa State: US News and World Report (53), RePEc - Department Rating (93), RePEc - Macro (243)

Mizzou: US News and World Report (63), RePEc - Department Rating (118), RePEc - Macro (110)

Edited by jdl7851

Here is the caveat, it seems that your utility function values being close to family. If you think being close to family will help you mentally and you will be happier, then for you it is not a bad choice. Now, my utility function does not care about being close to family etc. when going on a PhD. Thus, for me, Iowa State is a better choice as their training and placement is better.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Mizzou reaching out to you. Yes, it's positive. But everyone gets re-evaluated based on their performance. And frankly, departments are lousy at forecasting performance.

In terms of Iowa State, do you know if the offer is even still open?

This is a tricky situation and especially during Covid 19. I would imagine if you already made your decision, then they allocated those funds to somewhere else or to someone in the waitlist. I don't think anyone here has experience which such a specific situation but if you are willing to take the risk go for it.

Can you ask your letter writers for advice?

I asked him before making the decision and he said ISU was better but that he though MU would also be a good choice and that he thought I would have a good chance at an academic job either way. He doesn't know about the extra aspects though (health issues, fellowship, etc) Edited by jdl7851