Urch Forums

PhD Economics University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Hi All!

Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to get accepted to UIUC Econ PhD program as it's ranked among the top 30? And how are the admitted student profiles?

Thank you in advance!

This link should answer how hard it is to get into UIUC Econ PhD: Admitted Student Statistics | Economics at Illinois. They get 370 apps/year, and the average class size is 20. Since even the top schools make twice as many admits as matriculants, it's safe to say that their admit rate is well above 10%... there are quite a few top 50 schools with admit rates of around 20%. I'm leaning against applying here because there weren't enough faculty with my research interests, but that's not the case for everyone. I think one of the reasons why it's ranked in the top 30 is because they fund all students the same way, and with a stipend. Fellowships, Assistantships, & Financial Support | Economics at Illinois. There are many schools that do not offer this. I think funding is one of many reasons why UCSB is ranked above UCI also, but UCSB did seems like a very neat program too and I plan to apply to both down the road.

Avoid applying there if you are not an MSPE student at UIUC. Rumor has it that they admit at least five students each year from their own master's program.

Not sure I agree with this. Most of their students did not come from their MSPE program.

Not sure I agree with this. Most of their students did not come from their MSPE program.

Although, being there doing the MSPE actually gives you the chance to network and get to know the faculty who will eventually become your colleagues/supervisors so it certainly does help.

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:29 PM, elliotish said:

Avoid applying there if you are not an MSPE student at UIUC. Rumor has it that they admit at least five students each year from their own master's program.

The reason why so many PhD students are from MSPE is because  the PhD track option of MSPE program offers opportunities for MSPE students to enter the PhD program directly. Actually those students don't have to apply for the PhD program, so competitive relations between MSPE students and competitors from other school are not existed. However, the actual admit rate may be lower than 10% because they will not admit 20 students but 12~15 per year.

2 hours ago, lois said:

The reason why so many PhD students are from MSPE is because  the PhD track option of MSPE program offers opportunities for MSPE students to enter the PhD program directly. Actually those students don't have to apply for the PhD program, so competitive relations between MSPE students and competitors from other school are not existed. However, the actual admit rate may be lower than 10% because they will not admit 20 students but 12~15 per year.

But even the top schools have yield rates around 50% I think, so looking at matriculants vs acceptances makes a huge difference.