Urch Forums

COVID-19 and Admitted Students

jdl7851

I was wondering if anyone (especially econ professors) have any idea how COVID-19 may impact the number of accepted students being able to actually attend next fall? If international students cannot attend (e.g. are not able to come into the US next year) is there a chance a school may reach out to formerly waitlisted students? Is it worth me reaching out to such a school (I was rejected off the waitlist for my favorite)?

Also, what are the odds that we would have to do online learning this fall?

Thanks again for all the advice!

By next Fall, I assume you are talking about Fall 2020. If so, I am one of the international students who got into a PhD program starting coming Fall.

The university I am attending has already announced that they are holding in-person classes is the Fall.

However, a lot of the incoming students in my cohort are international (especially from China, India, South Korea and Japan).

For now, the graduate coordinator assured us that if we are unable to reach the US by the 30th day since the beginning of the program (which will be September 19), then we should defer to the Spring semester. They are still wary of doing that because the courses run in sequence starting from the Fall, but if a lot of us cannot attend in the Fall due to immigration, then they will manage some courses in Spring so that we can start then, instead of waiting for a full year.

Earlier, they said that if we have to defer a whole year, then we will be given the highest priority of funding for next Fall (2021).

I assume this will not be an issue for students from South Korea and Japan in my cohort though, because their countries have continued flights to the U.S. even now, and they don't necessarily require a visa (I guess?). So they can just fly, as opposed to some of us who needs to wait till the US embassy/consulate opens here.

Partly due to this commitment by the department in writing, that we can defer and that we would be given highest priority of funding in the future, I chose this program, which was my second favorite among those that selected me.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
Ah, alright! Cause they can enter without visa was my guess. May be for tourist visas then.

I'm not an immigration lawyer, but entering the US on a tourist visa when your actual purpose is to attend college would be violation of the terms of the visa and could get you deported and banned from entering the US for years.

Do not enter on a tourist visa just so you can begin your PhD program on time.

I'm not an immigration lawyer, but entering the US on a tourist visa when your actual purpose is to attend college would be violation of the terms of the visa and could get you deported and banned from entering the US for years.

Do not enter on a tourist visa just so you can begin your PhD program on time.

Yeah, I got that. I didn't know that before.