Urch Forums

COVID-19 and Prelim Exams

ttromatd

I've heard that some schools are cancelling their prelim exams for their students because of COVID-19. What schools have cancelled/postponed their prelims? For those schools, do you think this is a one time thing or do you think this will lead to prelims being phased out since some first year cohorts aren't taking them this year?

It's unlikely that it'll be phased out since only ONE cohort won't be taking them this year. Even then, not all schools are cancelling comprehensive exams. A number are just postponing them to a later date, either during the late Summer or early Fall.

At my school the comps have been changed to allow students who achieve high enough grades in the core sequence to skip potentially all of them. There will still be first-years who need to take them, and my impression is that they will be done virtually.

At my school the comps have been changed to allow students who achieve high enough grades in the core sequence to skip potentially all of them. There will still be first-years who need to take them, and my impression is that they will be done virtually.

Do you know what the "high enough grade" is? e.g. average A or A- in macro/micro sequence? Just wondering