Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I just pretend I haven't done this master's (because of my grades in it)?

Taking the Homotopic path Bayes's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Should I just pretend I haven't done this master's (because of my grades in it)?

Sponsored Ad:
    I highly agree with tutonic. Also, why would your professors would write you good letters if you were an inch away from failing? These are all important questions you need to ask yourself. A bad/mediocre letter will automatically get you filtered out. It is better to confront your professors now so you can get a reality check and develop your plan accordingly (rather than waiting and assuming everything will work out).

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Should I just pretend I haven't done this master's (because of my grades in it)?

You might look into online business programs, since those tend to have much less stringent admissions requirements, and online programs in general are much less selective than their brick and mortar counterparts... then you can work and get an online degree at the same time if that's something that interests you. And you can still have a US degree. Business programs are not that far apart from econometrics, you might be able to register in an econometrics course depending on how flexible the programs are...

This looks really good for a brick and mortar econ PhD program: Economics, Ph.D. | Middle Tennessee State University. Only need 3.0 on the undergrad degree and no specification on additional degrees. The GRE needs a combined score of 302 which is like 151 on average for math and verbal, which is like 51st and 41st percentiles... it requires you to take 4 econometrics courses to graduate from their program, which sounds great for you... what do you think about this one?

Here's another great one for you (if you happened to have gotten a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester credits!): https://www.usu.edu/degrees/index.cfm?id=8. They only require a 40th percentile on the GRE and one thing to know about this program is that they only take PhD candidates on odd numbered years!

This one doesn't specialize in econometrics but you may still find it interesting to consider: Doctor of philosophy in economics admissions - Economics - Wayne State University.

This is the last one I found, but looks kind of neat: Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Economics | Economics | Western Michigan University. I think there is still a good deal of hope that you can have to pursue an econ PhD in the US! A lot of programs are just looking for people with the drive and commitment and vision to get a PhD in econ and do something productive with it!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks everyone for the advice. That's what I was looking for.
    Some of these programs dogbones showed me are quite interesting (I'll look better at them). I am considering applying to one of these PhDs and to some master's programs too.
    As the brazilians I talked to said, that's kind of weird trying to pursue master's again. Do you have some kind of advice about that? Should I make it clear that I am applying to a master's because of my grades, and I want to get good grades this time.
    I have a friend that started The same master's as me but left to go to Urbana-Champaign master's. For what he told me, i am confident I could get good grades if I pursued master's again.
    I Just don't know how having a good master's with bad grades would affect me in another master's Admission process. Actually I found out about one professor in my program here that has repeated master's in US before getting PhD. He ended with 3 master's (1 in Brazil and 2 in the US) and a PhD. I don't know much about his grades because I am not familiar with him.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
    Some of these programs dogbones showed me are quite interesting (I'll look better at them). I am considering applying to one of these PhDs and to some master's programs too.
    As the brazilians I talked to said, that's kind of weird trying to pursue master's again. Do you have some kind of advice about that? Should I make it clear that I am applying to a master's because of my grades, and I want to get good grades this time.
    I have a friend that started The same master's as me but left to go to Urbana-Champaign master's. For what he told me, i am confident I could get good grades if I pursued master's again.
    I Just don't know how having a good master's with bad grades would affect me in another master's Admission process. Actually I found out about one professor in my program here that has repeated master's in US before getting PhD. He ended with 3 master's (1 in Brazil and 2 in the US) and a PhD. I don't know much about his grades because I am not familiar with him.
    Speak to your letter writers about what they think should be your next steps (whether to pursue another masters, try for a PhD, and if so, where to apply), not fellow students/seniors.

You should post your full profile using the standard format so all relevant information gets consolidated in one single post.

That being said, with your grades as is, it's unlikely that you'll gain entry into a competitive, rigorous masters programme.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
    The only reason why they think you're being weird about doing second master's is because you've not been honest with them fully. If you told them about your subpar grades in Grad level courses, I think they would be more understanding. But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what they think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information