Urch Forums

Are grad math courses worth it?

WelshCorgi

I am a final year undergrad student looking forward to applying for PhD probably in 2022. I was wondering if taking grad math courses (grad Real Analysis - Hilbert space, grad Probability - measure based prob theory) would enhance my chances.

I have taken most of the relevant math courses (analysis, real analysis, topology, stochastic processes, etc) and I think I would most probably get at least A's from the grad courses as well. If so, should I take them, or would it be a waste of time?

Always thank you for great advice

(btw, I am looking forward to studying financial economics)

Edited by WelshCorgi
Some additional info

Well, actually I am going to attend Econ Masters from next semester, so grad micro and metrics courses would have been taken by the time I apply for Phd. I was just wondering if some advanced math courses would provide any benefit in the application process. (Since my undergrad GPA is not as optimal: around 3.7/4.0 US standard)

Well, actually I am going to attend Econ Masters from next semester, so grad micro and metrics courses would have been taken by the time I apply for Phd. I was just wondering if some advanced math courses would provide any benefit in the application process. (Since my undergrad GPA is not as optimal: around 3.7/4.0 US standard)

Are you interested in Theory by any chance?

• 3 weeks later...
Looking at your profile evaluation thread, it seems like you are interested in pursuing a PhD in Finance. Is that correct? If so, your best bet is to post in the Business PhD thread (As they can guide you better).

Thank you for your guidance. I will try to get advice from the Business PhD thread.

Thank you for your guidance. I will try to get advice from the Business PhD thread.

No problem. Also, once you start the your MA in Econ programme, make sure to consult with the faculty there(and show them your profile). I think your A's in Analysis I, II, LA I/II leaves no concerns of your mathematical ability. You might be overthinking things here. The faculty in your MA program will tell you where they sent students in the past--so that information will be your best bet on where to apply.

No problem. Also, once you start the your MA in Econ programme, make sure to consult with the faculty there(and show them your profile). I think your A's in Analysis I, II, LA I/II leaves no concerns of your mathematical ability. You might be overthinking things here. The faculty in your MA program will tell you where they sent students in the past--so that information will be your best bet on where to apply.

Thank you! I will try consulting the faculty after I get in. Hope you have a great day :)