Urch Forums

which course should i take in my senior year?

NZ90

Hello, I am an undergraduate at US. i have several questions regarding my course plan in the senior year, wish you can give me some suggestions, Thank you very much.

1. if I have attended math-camp, is it recommended to still take other math courses, like real analysis? i have already finished all preparation for real analysis, topology, stochastic process sequence, elementary probability sequence, financial math sequence. probably with partial differential equations and fourier series in this summer.

2. if i cannot take all phd_level courses(very likely), which courses are mostly recommended according to the difficulty level and signal effect to the admission committee? My interest is macro and my undergraduate electives are monetary econ, trade, information econ(auction, probability with signal). Moreover, I did not take undergraduate-level honor econometrics, so should i have better to take that before graduate econometrics?

Thank you very much.

If you post your profile, it'll be more informative.

That being said, attending math camp is irrelevant from a signalling point of view, since you won't be graded and therefore, have no conceivable way to signal that you are mathematically capable.

With regards to PhD courses, it's advisable to take PhD Micro I and Metrics I.

1. If you haven't taken real analysis, you should take real analysis. Math camp is not meant to be comprehensive; it is generally meant as a review for students and as tutonic mentioned, does not have signalling ability.

2. I am assuming you have taken some undergraduate econometrics course - if you have done so, go ahead and take grad metrics. If not, and you've taken linear algebra, calculus, probability, and statistics, you're definitely ready. I'd read something like Woolridge's Introductory Econometrics beforehand to help build your intuition. Micro I is a good signalling class and generally holds more value than Grad Metrics though.