Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for rising junior at public US Uni looking for advice

lebeconomist

Currently a rising junior at a T-10 public US university and would like an honest evaluation of my chances at PhD programs in Economics

Major: Economics and Statistics

GPA: 3.8

Math: Linear Algebra (A), Integral Calculus (A), Regression Analysis (A-), ANOVA(A), Statistical Data Science (A), Vector Calculus (B-), Calc III (B), Probability Theory In Progress

Economics: Macro Theory (A), Micro Theory (A+), Intro Micro (A), Intro Macro (A), Econometrics (A+)

Research: RA at lab focused on education economics (working heavily in R)

Internship: Did a data science focused internship my freshman year summer where I implemented an algorithm from a research paper (focused on information retrieval), RA at city's economic council, interned at an analytics startup for 3-months too

Plan on taking real analysis I and II, full mathematical statistics sequence, discrete math, time series analysis, math for economist, Applied Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and Bayesian Statistical Inference and a few graduate courses before finishing mu ugrad.

Obviously the biggest weaknesses are the Bs in the intro calculus classes. They were during my freshman year and when I was working 20+ hours a week simultaneously out of financial need. No excuses, but I hope receiving As in the other math classes and the ones I take in the future will help make up for it.

Pretty much looking for guidance at this point on my chances. What programs do I realistically have a shot at? Should I be focused on anything in particular these next two years to be more competitive? I will be writing a senior thesis (hopefully) and I'm looking to land a position at the Fed for next summer. Are there any other math classes to focus on?

In the interest of space and time I did not include much about my underlying passion for the discipline and what areas I'm interested in but I can definitely elaborate.