Urch Forums

Seeking Profile Evaluation + Advice | Early Undergrad (May 2023)

piperpanama

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Mathematics (Honors), B.S. Economics, B.S. Computational Data Sci (Rising Sophomore @ T80 - Honors College)

Undergrad GPA: 3.93 Overall, 4.00 Econ

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: N/A

Math Courses: Honors Linear Algebra (A-), Discrete Mathematics I (A), Partial Differential Equations (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Behavioral Economics (A), Honors Microeconomics (A) "equivalent of intro micro + intermediate micro", Intro to Econometrics (A)

Other Courses:

Some programming classes @ Current Uni (all A's)Modern Cryptography, Calc I-III, Differential Eqs, Analysis I @ Dual Enrollment in HS + a lot of AP credits

Letters of Recommendation: Currently unknown, but I'll definitely ask the chair of the Statistics department at my university. Others not sure, but will likely ask those who are teaching the graduate courses I'm enroll in later on.

Research Experience: RA over Junior Summer of HS (co-authored on article accepted to MAA, to be published sometime in 2020), RA for two projects last semester working under Chair of Statistics department (some presentations at home institution), RA this Summer working under Chair of Statistics department (solely responsible for drafting a manuscript to be submit to a journal in developmental economics, not sure which journal though, chair will decide, might also be national conference presentation possibilities + further pubs).

Teaching Experience: N/A as of yet, but applied to a TA position in the Fall for an introductory C++ programming class.

Research Interests: Unknown at this point in time, but I plan to apply for Ph.D. in either Applied Mathematics or Economics.

SOP: N/A

Concerns: I'm considering transferring to the University of Michigan (instate). I don't like the atmosphere at my current university, but would be willing to bear my discontent if it meant that I could continue to build a graduate school application with strong research credentials.

Other: I haven't drawn up an extensive undergraduate coursework plan as of yet, but I do know what my Sophomore year will be. My Fall semester includes the following courses: Graduate Parallel Computing, Graduate Econometrics Ia,Graduate Probability & Statistics I, and Honors Abstract Algebra I. My Spring semester is much the same with the following: Graduate Numerical Linear Algebra, Graduate Econometrics Ib, Graduate Probability & Statistics II, and Honors Abstract Algebra II. My current university has offered a lot of flexibility with the courses I can take, which I consider a positive.

Regardless of whether I transfer or not I still want to move forward with building a strong application for graduate school, so any input on this front based on the profile above is appreciated.

I'm looking for advice on some of the concerns I demonstrate in the last few sections, and I do plan to ask my research mentor/some other students the same questions and get their input too. Thanks for any advice.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Mathematics (Honors), B.S. Economics, B.S. Computational Data Sci (Rising Sophomore @ T80 - Honors College)

Undergrad GPA: 3.93 Overall, 4.00 Econ

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: N/A

Math Courses: Honors Linear Algebra (A-), Discrete Mathematics I (A), Partial Differential Equations (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Behavioral Economics (A), Honors Microeconomics (A) "equivalent of intro micro + intermediate micro", Intro to Econometrics (A)

Other Courses:

Some programming classes @ Current Uni (all A's)Modern Cryptography, Calc I-III, Differential Eqs, Analysis I @ Dual Enrollment in HS + a lot of AP credits

Letters of Recommendation: Currently unknown, but I'll definitely ask the chair of the Statistics department at my university. Others not sure, but will likely ask those who are teaching the graduate courses I'm enroll in later on.

Research Experience: RA over Junior Summer of HS (co-authored on article accepted to MAA, to be published sometime in 2020), RA for two projects last semester working under Chair of Statistics department (some presentations at home institution), RA this Summer working under Chair of Statistics department (solely responsible for drafting a manuscript to be submit to a journal in developmental economics, not sure which journal though, chair will decide, might also be national conference presentation possibilities + further pubs).

Teaching Experience: N/A as of yet, but applied to a TA position in the Fall for an introductory C++ programming class.

Research Interests: Unknown at this point in time, but I plan to apply for Ph.D. in either Applied Mathematics or Economics.

SOP: N/A

Concerns: I'm considering transferring to the University of Michigan (instate). I don't like the atmosphere at my current university, but would be willing to bear my discontent if it meant that I could continue to build a graduate school application with strong research credentials.

Other: I haven't drawn up an extensive undergraduate coursework plan as of yet, but I do know what my Sophomore year will be. My Fall semester includes the following courses: Graduate Parallel Computing, Graduate Econometrics Ia,Graduate Probability & Statistics I, and Honors Abstract Algebra I. My Spring semester is much the same with the following: Graduate Numerical Linear Algebra, Graduate Econometrics Ib, Graduate Probability & Statistics II, and Honors Abstract Algebra II. My current university has offered a lot of flexibility with the courses I can take, which I consider a positive.

Regardless of whether I transfer or not I still want to move forward with building a strong application for graduate school, so any input on this front based on the profile above is appreciated.

I'm looking for advice on some of the concerns I demonstrate in the last few sections, and I do plan to ask my research mentor/some other students the same questions and get their input too. Thanks for any advice.

If you can continue to do high quality research at UMich, I'd say transferring might have it's definite advantages!

Transferring to a top 15 econ and maths programme is no brainer. I think you ought to take those advanced classes at umich. It will be much better for signalling and umich has a history of sending their undergrads to top 10-15 programmes!