Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Profile Eval & Where Should I Aim?

economist

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Eval & Where Should I Aim?

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbones View Post
    If the OP can talk about the fall research project in the personal statement (should be just about completed by the time applications are due), then that could be a great opportunity to build on research experience and interests that match with faculty in the schools you're applying to (and should be an ideal fit with at least 1-2 faculty for research). Also mention the spring senior thesis on your personal statement, as that's a second research project of yours. You should probably already have a fairly good idea as to what that will be about, I'm guessing...
    Matching research interests with the faculty is of relatively little importance for admissions in economics. Speculating about a research project you haven't done is generally a bad idea.

Taking the Homotopic path

Good post? Yes | No

Erased.
    Last edited by Bayes; 06-04-2020 at 10:08 PM. Reason: un-relevant

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

If the OP can talk about the fall research project in the personal statement (should be just about completed by the time applications are due), then that could be a great opportunity to build on research experience and interests that match with faculty in the schools you're applying to (and should be an ideal fit with at least 1-2 faculty for research). Also mention the spring senior thesis on your personal statement, as that's a second research project of yours. You should probably already have a fairly good idea as to what that will be about, I'm guessing...
    This is terrible advice.

Please don't delude applicants by providing highly optimistic assessments. Virtually all Top 20 schools mention the implicit requirement of Real Analysis. It will only end up hurting them, when they don't get in anywhere if they apply in too high of a range.

To the OP: since you have 2 courses free and might not be able to take Advanced Calc, see if you can take ODE and some other proof course. That might help things.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Bayes View Post
    What is meant by Research Experience is being an RA to an active researcher. Independent research/thesis holds little value (as most are never read).
    I agree that being an RA has the advantage of having a professor be better able to write an insightful LOR as well as increasing the likelihood of getting the professor's work published possibly with the RA's name also, but not all RA jobs get a published paper. On the other hand, an independent research project is much more individualized and can showcase the applicant's true research interests, and if written with care can, over time, be published by a journal. Being a coauthor as an RA may or may not be as valuable as exploring one's own research interests, especially as a senior year undergraduate student is likely to have a reasonably sophisticated foundation that can be built upon by research guided by faculty.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    This is terrible advice.

Please don't delude applicants by providing highly optimistic assessments. Virtually all Top 20 schools mention the implicit requirement of Real Analysis. It will only end up hurting them, when they don't get in anywhere if they apply in too high of a range.

To the OP: since you have 2 courses free and might not be able to take Advanced Calc, see if you can take ODE and some other proof course. That might help things.
    Tutonic: I clearly stated that Real Analysis is needed. Where are you getting that statement from?

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I agree that being an RA has the advantage of having a professor be better able to write an insightful LOR as well as increasing the likelihood of getting the professor's work published possibly with the RA's name also, but not all RA jobs get a published paper. On the other hand, an independent research project is much more individualized and can showcase the applicant's true research interests, and if written with care can, over time, be published by a journal. Being a coauthor as an RA may or may not be as valuable as exploring one's own research interests, especially as a senior year undergraduate student is likely to have a reasonably sophisticated foundation that can be built upon by research guided by faculty.
    This is completely delusional, unrealistic and horrible advice. One certainly cannot publish a paper without going through the necessary PhD courses and training. No school expects you to have a publishable paper by the time of admission. Also being an RA does not imply you will be a co-author.That is now how these things work, at all. I do not think you know what you are talking about.

Good post? Yes | No

Erased. Reason: I'm done with this thread

Wow, someone made an account DoggieBons... !!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Bayes View Post
    This is completely delusional, unrealistic and horrible advice. One certainly cannot publish a paper without going through the necessary PhD courses and training. No school expects you to have a publishable paper by the time of admission. Also being an RA does not imply you will be a co-author.That is now how these things work, at all. I do not think you know what you are talking about.
    Are you saying that it's not possible or that it's not typical? Because there are many undergrads out there with publications, or at least publications to be, at the time of application.

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    Matching research interests with the faculty is of relatively little importance for admissions in economics. Speculating about a research project you haven't done is generally a bad idea.
    I always thought that an applicant's perceived fit at a given school has a lot to do with if the applicant's research interests align better with the current faculty's interests? Since the OP can start planning his fall research in advance, it's prudent one could say to brainstorm and gather ideas well in advance of an actual research course with a semester-long timeline... thank you for sharing your balanced experience startz, it's greatly appreciated!

I'm not saying any of this will guarantee admissions to any school, and I don't think that can be said by anyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information