Urch Forums

Profile evaluation and suggestions please (from India)

Profile: Undergrad in Econ from top state school in India. Master's in Econ from tier 2 private research uni in India. Was a Teaching Assistant for 2 Graduate-level macro courses and 1 Bachelor's Micro course. Currently, working as an RA with a prof from a UK university.

Undergrad GPA - 6.1/10 (Second Class)

Master's GPA - 9.52/10 (Batch topper)

GRE - Q167, V156

Coursework (Master's): Two-course sequences in Micro (grades A- and B), Macro (both A's) and Econometrics (both A's), Mathematical Methods (A grade), Computational Econ (A grade). Electives in Labor Econ, Time Series, Trade, Development, Political Econ, International Finance (All A's except Trade in which I have a B)

Research Interest: Macro and Applied Economics

Research Experience: I have done several term papers and other research projects. Currently working as an RA. Previous experience as a research intern in a B-school and Think tank in India for a couple of months.

Concerns:

1. No math courses from the math department. Only taken mathematical methods courses in undergrad (B grade) and masters (topped the class) which covered topics like multivariate calculus, linear algebra, optimization.

To compensate, I'm taking online courses in Multivariate calc, probability, stats, linear algebra, differential equations, although I don't know how much they would help me.

2. Very low undergrad GPA (probably equal to a low B or a C in the US). Not sure how much my performance in the master's program and research experience would be able to compensate for that.

I am looking for suggestions regarding ways to improve my profile and what kind of colleges should I target for PhD in the US. I am not looking at top 20/30. Would something in the top 50 be achievable with my profile?

I am also considering doing another master's from Europe before applying for a Phd in the US however there are significant time and monetary investments required for that. Any advise regarding this would also be appreciated. If possible, the kind of master's programs I should be looking at would be helpful. All suggestions are welcome! :)

Edited by newguyfromindia

• 3 weeks later...
Profile: Undergrad in Econ from top state school in India. Master's in Econ from tier 2 private research uni in India. Was a Teaching Assistant for 2 Graduate-level macro courses and 1 Bachelor's Micro course. Currently, working as an RA with a prof from a UK university.

Undergrad GPA - 6.1/10 (Second Class)

Master's GPA - 9.52/10 (Batch topper)

GRE - Q167, V156

Coursework (Master's): Two-course sequences in Micro (grades A- and B), Macro (both A's) and Econometrics (both A's), Mathematical Methods (A grade), Computational Econ (A grade). Electives in Labor Econ, Time Series, Trade, Development, Political Econ, International Finance (All A's except Trade in which I have a B)

Research Interest: Macro and Applied Economics

Research Experience: I have done several term papers and other research projects. Currently working as an RA. Previous experience as a research intern in a B-school and Think tank in India for a couple of months.

Concerns:

1. No math courses from the math department. Only taken mathematical methods courses in undergrad (B grade) and masters (topped the class) which covered topics like multivariate calculus, linear algebra, optimization.

To compensate, I'm taking online courses in Multivariate calc, probability, stats, linear algebra, differential equations, although I don't know how much they would help me.

2. Very low undergrad GPA (probably equal to a low B or a C in the US). Not sure how much my performance in the master's program and research experience would be able to compensate for that.

I am looking for suggestions regarding ways to improve my profile and what kind of colleges should I target for PhD in the US. I am not looking at top 20/30. Would something in the top 50 be achievable with my profile?

I am also considering doing another master's from Europe before applying for a Phd in the US however there are significant time and monetary investments required for that. Any advise regarding this would also be appreciated. If possible, the kind of master's programs I should be looking at would be helpful. All suggestions are welcome! :)

I believe the MSQE program at ISI Delhi places extremely well into the top 20. You may consider a second masters from there.

My GPA and GRE are lower than yours, but I make up for these with publications/research paper volumes. I can't change my GPA or GRE, but I can RA and churn out papers under the guidance of my RA mentors.

Do like me, go churn out okayish papers that prove that you can do econ!

PS: A caveat though, I have already done an excessive amount of math, so perhaps you may want to take a few relevant math courses if you can whilst boosting your publications via your RA job. I believe you can produce at least 2 decent research papers before admissions begin in few months.

If you can turn out 2 decent research papers in the next few months, skip the PhD entirely and just apply for faculty positions.:stupid:

My GPA and GRE are lower than yours, but I make up for these with publications/research paper volumes. I can't change my GPA or GRE, but I can RA and churn out papers under the guidance of my RA mentors.

PS: A caveat though, I have already done an excessive amount of math, so perhaps you may want to take a few relevant math courses if you can whilst boosting your publications via your RA job. I believe you can produce at least 2 decent research papers before admissions begin in few months.

I want to produce at least 5 decent research papers, what do you think I should do in order to achieve my goal? Teach me master.

Nice trolling. In a previous post on another thread (https://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/161815-2021-fall-econ-fin-phd-profile-evaluation.html?highlight=#post1025749) you stated this:

To your question, your profile looks fabulous! But I hear coauthoring with a senior does not give schools the right research signal they are looking for...They say the best is to coauthor with fellow juniors, and if you produce good research under this circumstance, then surely that is a signal.[/color]

I have one paper with a senior, well maybe 2, but the rest are with fellow rookie RAs like me, but we got help (in form of guidance) from seniors

Perhaps you should get busy publishing in Econometrica rather than wasting everyone's time here.

Calm down - you seem triggered, not sure why. Or am I not allowed to make posts here because they seem to strangely annoy you? You own www.urch.com? I hope the moderator can see your unnecessary passive aggression and do the needful, not sure what is driving it.

And about econometrica, lol, again calm down, nobody is saying they are publishing econometrica. Maybe you should go and publish one yourself, garara..

You can try to downvote all my past posts on this forum... You seem to be the one who is "triggered". Yep. Go back to EJMR. Thanks!

I hope you're not talking about 5 econometrica like the dude above? Lol. Most people won't publish there, not even the most talented people on here and anywhere. It's not easy for someone 20 years out, much of someone who is yet to start a PhD.

Yes, focus on decent, low ranked journals. This is an option for people like us with just okayish GPA and/or GRE. How to do it? I will relate my own experience. Find an active researcher who has other RAs or is in a team with several RAs. Offer to join them and contribute. If they say they have no budget, still do it. When you join, make a mark for a few months, then team up with the other RAs to implement simple projects that can be quickly submitted to some ok journals. Many times, the RAs would accept. You guys can complete the projects and ask for comments from the more experienced people. In this way, and assuming everyone is cooperative, churning out 5 papers is very doable.

This is what happens in our small research group. About 4 to 5 RAs support a few researchers. On the side, the RAs also team up to execute simple projects that lead to research papers. The researchers are so nice, they vet what has been done before final versions are submitted to a journal. Sometimes they even nudge us in the right direction when we stray, and they don't demand that we put their names on the research :).

The above strategy led to 1 paper written with a senior research as a coauthor and then 5 papers with 2 or 3 other RAs as coauthors. Journals targeted are at the level of empirical economics/applied economics and below, not above.

This way, our RAs applying for a PhD this year are able to have at least 2 research papers. Let's just say I have the highest count ~ 6 research papers, but sadly the least GPA and or GRE...So, it's safe to expect some of the other RAs to get top 25, if not top 10, offers ( as they have top grades plus publications), while I am not sure of how things will pan out for me given my so so grades. This is why I have come to seek help here from urch gurus!

Nice meeting you here. Ask questions if you have.

If you were a tiny bit intelligent you would realize that Ahududu was being sarcastic.

I hope you're not talking about 5 econometrica like the dude above? Lol. Most people won't publish there, not even the most talented people on here and anywhere. It's not easy for someone 20 years out, much of someone who is yet to start a PhD.

Yes, focus on decent, low ranked journals. This is an option for people like us with just okayish GPA and/or GRE. How to do it? I will relate my own experience. Find an active researcher who has other RAs or is in a team with several RAs. Offer to join them and contribute. If they say they have no budget, still do it. When you join, make a mark for a few months, then team up with the other RAs to implement simple projects that can be quickly submitted to some ok journals. Many times, the RAs would accept. You guys can complete the projects and ask for comments from the more experienced people. In this way, and assuming everyone is cooperative, churning out 5 papers is very doable.

This is what happens in our small research group. About 4 to 5 RAs support a few researchers. On the side, the RAs also team up to execute simple projects that lead to research papers. The researchers are so nice, they vet what has been done before final versions are submitted to a journal. Sometimes they even nudge us in the right direction when we stray, and they don't demand that we put their names on the research :).

The above strategy led to 1 paper written with a senior research as a coauthor and then 5 papers with 2 or 3 other RAs as coauthors. Journals targeted are at the level of empirical economics/applied economics and below, not above.

This way, our RAs applying for a PhD this year are able to have at least 2 research papers. Let's just say I have the highest count ~ 6 research papers, but sadly the least GPA and or GRE...So, it's safe to expect some of the other RAs to get top 25, if not top 10, offers ( as they have top grades plus publications), while I am not sure of how things will pan out for me given my so so grades. This is why I have come to seek help here from urch gurus!

Nice meeting you here. Ask questions if you have.

Yes I was talking about econometrica duh? There isn't any other journal that I would wanna publish since I don't even consider them publishable places given my superior background. So no I don't do low ranked brah. Also, could you give me the timeline? I have exactly 154 days to publish 5 Econometrica papers. Please help me Sir Publisher.

If you were a tiny bit intelligent you would realize that Ahududu was being sarcastic.

Haha everyone with above 80 IQ would have known that I was being sarcastic. Although I am surprised the amount of time he/she put into these paragraphs. Makes you wonder whether this person is truly a hard working person like he claims he is or he is a saint, helping others.

Ahududu, well done for the insults. I responded to your question in good faith and you turned around to say this so as to please people you don't know.

Mr sarcastic, you lied! The only reason I provided that detailed response to you is that your handle is familiar. Yes, you once begged to join us as RA and even offered to do email exchanges. You sent two good private messages to one of our colleagues who posted here some time ago. You were secretly asking a variant of the question you asked above. Yes, you were asking to join so we could help you get publications to reduce the damage that your weak math grades would cause in a sane PhD application. Yes, I'm aware, and can call for your two messages and expose them here if you continue posting rubbish. The records don't lie. Not once, twice. Challenge me, and I will expose you with real evidence.

Although I can embarrass you too, so all the faceless people you're looking to please would see exactly how you go behind their back to "beg" for publication help (didn't start today), but I won't do that - unless you push it too far.

And yes, 6 good research papers on deck, 1 published. All these pre-PhD. Anyone who does not like it, well, deal with it. It takes brains and hard work and determination to get 6 peer reviewed level papers. If it were easy, you wouldn't send email begging begging to join. Again you had better not say rubbish, otherwise I will fully expose you for what you are. By the way, you were not taken or won't be taken because you don't have the required math rigor to flesh out coherent models, for example variants of the Hansen (1999) or Seo and Shin (2016) models. Go look them up. If you were up to par, we could have been interested in you...Yes, you're the Turkish boy with....Let me hold back and save your anonymity. At least until you try to prove smart or wise.

Moderators please ban this guy as he is connected to (or is): https://www.www.urch.com/forums/members/anotherone.html

This member has been creating fake accounts and luring people into fake RA positions. We are dealing with someone who has absolutely no life.

Ahududu, well done for the insults. I responded to your question in good faith and you turned around to post the above so as to please people you don't know.

Mr sarcastic, you lied! The only reason I provided that detailed response to you is that your handle is familiar. Yes, you once begged to join us as RA and even offered to do email exchanges. You sent two good private messages to one of our colleagues who posted here some time ago. You were secretly asking a variant of the question you asked above. Yes, you were asking to join so we could help you get publications to reduce the damage that your weak math grades would cause in a sane PhD application process. Yes, I'm aware, and can call for your two messages and expose them here if you continue posting rubbish. The records don't lie. Not once, twice. Challenge me, and I will expose you with real evidence.

Although I can embarrass you too, so all the faceless people you're looking to please would see exactly how you go behind their back to "beg" for publication help (didn't start today), but I won't do that - unless you push it too far.

And yes, 6 good research papers on deck, 1 published. All these pre-PhD. Anyone who does not like it, well, deal with it. It takes brains and hard work and determination to get 6 peer reviewed level papers. If it were easy, you wouldn't send email begging begging to join. Again you had better not say rubbish, otherwise I will fully expose you for what you are.

By the way, you were not chosen or won't be chosen because you don't have the required math rigor to flesh out coherent models, for example variants of the Hansen (1999) or Seo and Shin (2016) models. Go look them up. If you were up to par, we could have been interested in you...Yes, you're the Turkish boy with....Let me hold back and save your anonymity. At least until you try to prove smart or wise.

--

Original OP, not my intention to post all these. I'm only responding to lies and misrepresentation being told and the smelly passive aggression

Omg you literally do not have any idea what sarcasm means. However, I am thrilled to see that you exposed yourself so easily that I am sure you're to be banned soon.

It is funny to be rejected for a position that I have never applied in the first place. I am the Turkish boy with what? Yarrak kafali, siktir git. Also please do not hold back and save my anonymity since I have never even tried to be anonymous.