Profile evaluation

jshp45

Hi.

Type of Undergrad: BS Econ from Unknown school in LAC

Undergrad GPA: 3.3+

Type of Grad: Msc in applied economics, same university

Grad GPA: 3.8

GRE: 166Q-152V-3.5 AWA

Math Courses: Calculus I (A) Calculus II (B) , Linear Algebra ©, Differential Equations A), math (grad level) (A), mathematical statistics (grad level) (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): two courses of Empirical IO (A+), Advanced Econometrics (A+), micro I (A), micro II (A), macro (A)

ECON Courses Undergrad: Micro I (A), Micro II (B) Macro I (B), Macro II (A), Macro III (A), Econometrics I (A), Econometrics II (B), Macroeconometrics (A)

Other Courses: Rice Phd Math camp

Letters of Recommendation: 1) Head of my country central bank and ex professor (Phd in economics from Yale) 2) associate professor at Oberta University in Spain and ex professor (Phd in Economics Universidad de Barcelona); 3) researcher at IMF and ex professor (Phd in economics UWM)

Research Experience: RA for associate professor in my university (2 years). My bachelor thesis was published in Empirical Economics, and my master thesis was submitted to a top macro journal.

Teaching Experience: 2 years teaching macro and fundamental economics for engineers.

Research Interests: International economics and IO

Applying to: Not sure yet.

Thanks

Hi jshp45:

How well do your letter writers know you? Adcoms seem to look for personal qualities validated over a long-term and close series of interactions, so you may (I don't know) do better asking someone in your Econ department who has known you for a while, has good writing skills, and is reputable. You're well published (relatively), so I'm sure someone from your department would have great things to share about you. You may want to consider that route as well (not saying all of your letters need to change), just so the adcoms see that you also have good relationships with your professors.

Hi jshp45:

How well do your letter writers know you? Adcoms seem to look for personal qualities validated over a long-term and close series of interactions, so you may (I don't know) do better asking someone in your Econ department who has known you for a while, has good writing skills, and is reputable. You're well published (relatively), so I'm sure someone from your department would have great things to share about you. You may want to consider that route as well (not saying all of your letters need to change), just so the adcoms see that you also have good relationships with your professors.

Thanks for your answer. One of my letters comes from my tutor and co author in the article that I already published. The other two letters comes from my IO courses professors. All of them are (or were) professors in my department.

As Dogbones says, its crucial for you to take another proof based Linear Algebra course (prefferably Linear Algebra 2). Here are the minimums you need to get into a decent program:

-Linear Algebra 2

-Calculus 3

-Real Analysis

Things you need to learn:

- Where past students went onto PhD's from your school

- What range does your professors think you should apply?

Note: My apologies I read LAC as Liberal Arts College. Then your profile becomes hard to read as most on this forum are not familiar with the rigor of Econ courses at your school. The best thing you can do is find out where your professors/school have placed students. Take my advice with a grain of salt, your profs know the best.

Edited by Bayes