Sponsored Ad:
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

  1. #1
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Exclamation Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    Sponsored Ad:
    Hello all!

    I am from a public state school and got an A- in Real Analysis I course. I have As in all the other recommended math and stats courses (Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Advanced Matrix Theory, Diff Eq, Math Stats (year-long sequence)) as well as all As in both undergrad and grad-level Economics classes (which include 3 semesters of advanced Econometrics and Macroeconomic Theory). I also have solid research experience in social science fields (no publications yet). I plan on taking stochastic process sequence as well as Real Analysis II, and will do my best to get As. I am also enrolled in graduate Micro Theory and Math Econ, for which I am positive I can get As. Do I still have a chance to get into a Top 20 PhD program with my current stats? Or should I retake Real Analysis I (which I don't mind) to replace my A- grade? I can't decide if retaking Real Analysis I or taking other math/stats classes would be a better idea.


    Also, what other math/stats courses are recommended in addition to the classes I have taken? Can an A in Abstract Algebra weigh a lot on my application?

    Thanks very much in advance!

  2. #2
    Taking the Homotopic path Bayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    I don't think you will be able to retake the course with an A-. Usually at most universities the policy is below C. With that said, your grad Econ courses are more relevant and yes Analysis II will offset that. Abstract Algebra is not applicable to Economics so it carries minimal weight.

  3. #3
    economist
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    770
    Rep Power
    12


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    No one will care in the slightest about one A-.

  4. #4


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    Quote Originally Posted by econstudent1225 View Post
    Hello all!

    I am from a public state school and got an A- in Real Analysis I course. I have As in all the other recommended math and stats courses (Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Advanced Matrix Theory, Diff Eq, Math Stats (year-long sequence)) as well as all As in both undergrad and grad-level Economics classes (which include 3 semesters of advanced Econometrics and Macroeconomic Theory). I also have solid research experience in social science fields (no publications yet). I plan on taking stochastic process sequence as well as Real Analysis II, and will do my best to get As. I am also enrolled in graduate Micro Theory and Math Econ, for which I am positive I can get As. Do I still have a chance to get into a Top 20 PhD program with my current stats? Or should I retake Real Analysis I (which I don't mind) to replace my A- grade? I can't decide if retaking Real Analysis I or taking other math/stats classes would be a better idea.


    Also, what other math/stats courses are recommended in addition to the classes I have taken? Can an A in Abstract Algebra weigh a lot on my application?

    Thanks very much in advance!
    I want to echo startz: with the courses you've taken I don't think people will care very much about one or two A-s especially in a math department class. It's more concerning in a grad econ class where grades are curved to be A or B, so the + and - are more meaningful signals of class rank.

  5. #5
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    Bayes: Thanks very much for your response. I appreciate your advice.

  6. #6
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    Startz: I am relieved. Thank you very much for your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    No one will care in the slightest about one A-.

  7. #7
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    laborsabre: Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by laborsabre View Post
    I want to echo startz: with the courses you've taken I don't think people will care very much about one or two A-s especially in a math department class. It's more concerning in a grad econ class where grades are curved to be A or B, so the + and - are more meaningful signals of class rank.

  8. #8
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    Is it really bad to have made an A- in phd micro? I though A-s weren’t usually a big deal outside of undergrad econ courses.

  9. #9
    economist
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    770
    Rep Power
    12


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: Profile Evaluation - Real Analysis I Grade

    Really bad? No. But not so good either for top programs as A- in an econ PhD class is usually just a so-so grade. It suggests you can handle the work, but aren't an outstanding student.

    But no one single grade is likely to be all that important.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How To Get Over Bad Grade in Real Analysis?
    By Chillguy in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 11:20 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
  3. grade for real analysis
    By alter in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
  4. Poor grade in Real Analysis: chances?
    By nosson in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •