Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Applying to Different Programs

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Applying to Different Programs

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all,

I have planned for some time to apply to PhD programs in economics a year from now after I finish a two-year RA stint. Iíve recently been debating, however, if I should also look into applying to political science PhDs. Iím primarily interested in political economy, so I believe that I would enjoy doing either program (although I realize that there are trade-offs in choosing one program over the other).

I know that itís not uncommon for econ applicants to also apply to PPOL PhDs, but I rarely hear of them also applying to political science programs. My question then is this - would it look bad in anyway to apply to both programs potentially at the same school(s)? I donít want to give off the impression that Iím not serious/committed enough to one particular field, but itíd be nice to keep my options open and learn more thoroughly about the pros/cons specific to each department.

Thanks for any advice!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Applying to Different Programs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWing View Post
    Hi all,

I have planned for some time to apply to PhD programs in economics a year from now after I finish a two-year RA stint. Iíve recently been debating, however, if I should also look into applying to political science PhDs. Iím primarily interested in political economy, so I believe that I would enjoy doing either program (although I realize that there are trade-offs in choosing one program over the other).

I know that itís not uncommon for econ applicants to also apply to PPOL PhDs, but I rarely hear of them also applying to political science programs. My question then is this - would it look bad in anyway to apply to both programs potentially at the same school(s)? I donít want to give off the impression that Iím not serious/committed enough to one particular field, but itíd be nice to keep my options open and learn more thoroughly about the pros/cons specific to each department.

Thanks for any advice!
    Don't take this as absolute truth, but I went to undergrad at the school I am now getting a PhD. I was a double major in Poli sci and econ, and my experience was that there was not too much cross-communication between departments. So I don't even know if they'd know you applied to other programs outside the department (the school uses a centralized portal, but decisions are department specific I think). It's also decently common for econ PhD applicants to send in apps to Poli sci programs. I definitely considered it, and I didn't get the sense that this looks bad.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Applying to Different Programs

@laborsabre that makes sense - thank you for the reply, it was definitely helpful!

Thread Information