Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Profile Evaluation 2021 fall - Indian with research and teaching experience

Trying to make mom and pop proud lostlove's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Question Profile Evaluation 2021 fall - Indian with research and teaching experience

Sponsored Ad:
    PROFILE:Indian with research and teaching experience
    Type of Undergrad:BA Econ from top 5 undergrad college in India
    Undergrad GPA: 7.5/10
    Type of Grad: Masters in Econ from Tier 2 Private University (Research + Teaching uni)
    Grad GPA:3.4/4
    GRE:167 Quant, 168 Verbal, 5 AW
    Further education: MPhil Econ from a top 3 econ dept in India to be completed in April 2021
    Math Courses in Masters & MPhil(grade): Mathematical Economics (C+), Econometrics 1 & 2 (C+ & B+), Econometrics at Mphil included IV, GLS, NLS, Quantile,DID (B)
    Econ Courses Undergrad(grade):Micro 1 & 2 (A+ & B+),Macro 1 & 2 (C+ & B), International Economics(A+), Public Economics (B)
    Econ Courses Masters & MPhil (grade):Micro 1 & 2 (B & B),Macro 1 & 2 (B+ & C+), Growth Theory(C+), Development Models(B+), Public Economics(B+), Trade theory (B), Macro (MPhil)(B), Financial Economics (MPhil)(B).
    Other Courses: Urban Development(A), Rural Development(B),
    Letters of Recommendation:(1) Very strong from a professor from masters I took a course with and also assisted in research with.( 2) Strong from my MPhil guide (3) Strong from an assoc. prof I took two courses with during MPhil (4) Strong from a prof whose course I took and did a term paper for.
    Research Experience: 1 yr field research experience at a think tank in India. Co-authored two book chapters (not on macro which I want to do a PhD in)
    Teaching Experience: 2 yr teaching experience at undergraduate (taught Econometrics 1, Growth Theory and Statistics & Probability)
    Other (Notes, concerns etc.):GRE Quant score, less math courses.
    Last edited by lostlove; 09-05-2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: To align with standard template

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation 2021 fall - Indian with research and teaching experience

You’d probably need to use the template to give us a better indication of what is what.

Taking the Homotopic path Bayes's Avatar

Standard Template

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    Math Courses(list the grades for each course):
    Econ Courses Undergrad(list the grades for each course):
    Econ Courses Msc
    (list the grades for each course):
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation:
    Research Experience:
    Teaching Experience:
    Other (Notes, concerns etc.):

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you. I have edited to match standard template.

Good post? Yes | No

May I ask what you are hoping for us to assess? Are you looking to enter a PhD program and would like to know possible target ranges? (In which case, the usual comment goes along the lines of looking at placements of your most recent institution and asking professors for their opinions...)

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dogbones View Post
    May I ask what you are hoping for us to assess? Are you looking to enter a PhD program and would like to know possible target ranges? (In which case, the usual comment goes along the lines of looking at placements of your most recent institution and asking professors for their opinions...)
    Thank you. I am looking for a target range to apply to for PhD. The masters placement at my recent institution is very good (most people in top 50, few in top 20). But the Mphil cohort is very small giving me very few reference points.

Could you tell me if my GRE scores and masters grades will be an impediment in top 20 or top 50? In fact, I am banking on all that I have done post my masters to put me in good stead.

So, your GRE scores are definitely top 20 material, but the coursework grades are going to likely incur at least a decent bit of variance in the admissions outcomes due to certain adcoms seeing one thing as important and others seeing another thing as important. As far as the range of schools to aim for, I think the people with more experience would be best to answer this but my guess is to aim for the complete spectrum of schools that you are interested in, minus maybe really selective ones in the interest of applying to schools where there is a better run for your money with your application fees. I think some top 50 schools should be on your list, but I also think you should definitely include schools below the top 50 that you can see yourself doing well in since the Cs hurt in grad school in general.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Your GRE quant score is fine. If anything, I would worry about your grades (lots of C's and B's).

Within my grasp!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Just as an FYI, a strong letter is one that can credibly speak to your potential to do research, as that's the only metric that isn't so easily quantifiable in your application package. These are obtained from people you RA for, thesis advisors, or in the absolute last resort, from those independent research type of courses.

A letter coming from someone that taught you classes will do little in adding value as a letter writer, since academic information can be obtained from your transcripts. The only case this might be of value is in UK-type bachelors, where math classes are far and few in between, since they are baked into the economics courses. Then, a letter from the professor teaching mathematical econ, for example, could vouch the applicant's mathematical ability since it's not directly obvious from looking at the transcripts.

As it stands, apart from the spotty grades so far, you also lack formal math classes, so that might be problematic.

While it's important to see where past placements are, it's also equally important to also find out what kind of grades they got to enter said places. If past students are entering those PhD programmes with 3.7+ GPA, then it's unlikely you'll get into those places.

Thread Information