Urch Forums

Need advice on what to do next

Evonomist294

Hi,

I just finished my Master at a top program in Europe. I had a very weak undergraduate background, with just 1 course in econ and no maths at all (not even calculus).

In the first year I was quite average, however in the second year I think I was around top 10% and wrote an strong thesis (I think)

I dont know what to do next. I am at lost and dont know who to talk to either.

What should I do next?

- I posted this on Ejmr and people there told me to take real analysis/linear algebra/calculus since I have such weak background in maths. They told me I could do a Harvard online course or at some community college. However that means I will have to spend more money and I am really poor (I only get through Msc thanks to a scholarship). And I just do not see the point, I have already taken micro macro game theory econometrics which all needed linear algebra/ calculus even a bit of real analysis as prerequisite.

- I dont know whether I should explain why I did badly first year Msc. I mean my classmates had much better background that I did, so that partly explains why they performed better. However I do not know whether that is a good excuse or not...

- I plan to do a predoc but I also understand it will be hard getting into a good one.

TLDR:

Type of undergrad: Bachelor from developing country

Undergrad profile : no maths, one econ class.

Type of grad: top 5 msc in europe

Grad Gpa: top 25%, but top 10% in second year

Grad courses: Macro (A), Micro (A+,B), Metrics (A), Maths(B), and a bunch of other field, but I do not think they matter that much.

Gre: good

Looking for advice to whether take online math courses or not. And explanation for some bad grades

Thank everyone

Edited by Evonomist294

Use the standard template to post your profile, with your questions at the bottom. Most people will be put off when encountering a huge wall of text like this. You'll get more responses this way.

That being said, I have a couple questions. You mention the restrictions on course selections for your bachelor's. How does that relate to being average in your MSc? You shouldn't externalise your shortcomings. What masters programme did you go to? What are the placement like for your masters programme? If you don't know, then you should find out. Past placement data in your masters programme can provide some information on what ranges of school are feasible.

The ultimate cost/benefit analysis to doing a PhD must fall on you. No one can better inform you on whether a particular path is worthwhile, ex ante. What we can do is evaluate your current profile and provide opinions on what ranges of school are feasible to get into.

Standard Template

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses(list the grades for each course):

Econ Courses Undergrad(list the grades for each course):

Econ Courses Msc(list the grades for each course):

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Other (Notes, concerns etc.):

Hi,

I dont need to get my profile evaluated, I just want to know what to do next. I am not applying this year.

If the thread is in wrong forum, please delete it, but I mean there is a thread with this title [h=2]PhD Micro Grade Distribution at T30[/h]

he or she just asked the question and did not reveal the profile at all.

If that kind of question is not possible, could you please tell me which forum to post?

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I dont need to get my profile evaluated, I just want to know what to do next. I am not applying this year.

If the thread is in wrong forum, please delete it, but I mean there is a thread with this title PhD Micro Grade Distribution at T30

If that kind of question is not possible, could you please tell me which forum to post?

Thank you so much!

This doesn't make sense at all.

Hi,

If the thread is in wrong forum, please delete it, but I mean there is a thread with this title PhD Micro Grade Distribution at T30

Thank you so much!

The kind of question you ask requires you to tell us about your entire transcript in undergrad (Maths, stats and Econ courses) and Grad level courses, your grades associated with those courses and your GRE (only quant is fine). It is also extremely important to talk little bit about your LOR writers (like where they have published and had done their PhD or where they have connections/send their students recently). Hence, yes we need a clearer picture about your academic background.

In addition, let's talk about the title you were talking about PhD Micro Grade Distribution at T30. If you have checked the actual entry which I doubt you had, it was merely talking about the harsh grade distribution of his/her programme and whether this would affect his/her application for PhD Econ. This is a valid question and does not require for him/her to tell us anything else. Because his/her question is not "can I pursue PhD in Econ?". He/she is only curious whether this particular grade distribution from his/her institution would hurt his chances and if the adcoms from other schools are aware of that.

If we go back to your question, this is the most accurate place to ask that but by being non-transparent about your profile, I am sorry that we cannot move forward.

If you were a top student in a top master's program, your next step should be to talk to your professors from that program. They know your academic record and capabilities better than anyone on this forum, and have an interest in seeing their top students succeed. They also know where previous students who had similar MSc grades were admitted.

Email the people who you would likely ask for letters of recommendation when applying to jobs or PhD programs and ask them whether they think you should apply to PhD programs this cycle, and if not, what they think you need to do to strengthen your profile. Ask them explicitly about the range of schools you should target if you apply this cycle, and the range you could target by taking additional courses or getting research experience first.

I think getting paid research experience would be your next best bet... try to find RA positions anywhere in the world you are comfortable (and keep in mind any COVID visa restrictions) and generate some income while building some solid research experience. This research can lead to a PhD later, or if you are hoping for an even better result maybe you would be able to find a paid predoc after your RA... but that might be redundant, not sure. Good luck regardless!

I think getting paid research experience would be your next best bet... try to find RA positions anywhere in the world you are comfortable (and keep in mind any COVID visa restrictions) and generate some income while building some solid research experience. This research can lead to a PhD later, or if you are hoping for an even better result maybe you would be able to find a paid predoc after your RA... but that might be redundant, not sure. Good luck regardless!

I don't agree with this advice, at least not based on the information the OP has provided. Research experience, paid or not, is not the most important improvement to every profile. We don't have enough information to assess whether or not it is the missing piece for the OP, but based on the information provided, it might not be. The OP asked for advice about improving his/her math background, described limited math courses, and reported performing strongly in a master's thesis in a top program. The relatively weaker part of the portfolio might be coursework, not research.

Not all research experience, even paid research experience, will have a significant effect on the admissions outcomes of all candidates. There are decreasing marginal returns, so it's less valuable for someone with a stronger initial research track record. Also, research experience that isn't credibly building valuable skills will not have much affect on admissions. To increase the chance of admissions, the OP would need to work with a researcher who is using up-to-date methods and, hopefully, who can write a credible letter of recommendation because he/she is recognized in the profession through his/her own publications or presentations. Finally, most successful PhD students do not build on their pre-grad school research work directly when they begin their dissertation research. They build on the skills or maybe return to a large, public data set they had used before, but they need to come up with their own topics that are not derivative of that previous work, and that are informed by the two years of coursework between.

TL/DR: The OP should ask the professors from his/her master's program how to strengthen his/her profile. There are not one-size-fits-all prescriptions for admission; different candidates should pursue different strategies. Even with a "complete" profile in the "standard" format, users on this forum (especially those who are still students themselves or who have not even started graduate school) simply do not have the information or experience to offer narrowly-tailored advice to individual applicants.

Ok, but let me add that the OP could easily take free math classes while an RA, which I believe is almost a standard practice when there is an affiliation with a nearby university. This will solve at least three problems at once. The likelihood of succeeding in math is fairly good since the OP has already succeeded in advanced Econ courses based on undergrad math.

Ok, but let me add that the OP could easily take free math classes while an RA, which I believe is almost a standard practice when there is an affiliation with a nearby university. This will solve at least three problems at once. The likelihood of succeeding in math is fairly good since the OP has already succeeded in advanced Econ courses based on undergrad math.

There are many RA positions that do not include tuition remission or the opportunity to take courses at the host university (anyone applying for such positions should ask about this benefit if it is important!). There are other RA positions that do not allow people to take courses in their first semester on the job, which means that to have even one additional course on the transcript before applying, the OP would have to remain in the RA position for at least two years. If the real deficiency is math rather than research, taking and paying for two-three courses in a semester could have a lower total cost than spending two extra years before starting a PhD. And depending on the previous courses and universities, not all nearby universities will add much value. Again, this is all why the OP should ask his/her own professors, who can give advice based on complete information.

NB: Full time RA positions with faculty at top universities, in arrangements that allow RAs to take one course/semester, are often as competitive or more so than admissions to top PhD programs. There are lots of valuable RA experiences out there, but the kind that nearly universally increase the probability of acceptance to a PhD program are incredibly hard to get. Other positions need to be matched carefully to individual circumstances.