Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation 2021 - Thanks!

mlc27

Hey, thanks so much in advance. I'm a UK student looking to apply this round for UK Masters/PhD programmes. So far, I'm considering Cambridge MPhil Econ Research, Oxford MPhil Econ, LSE MSc Econ and LSE MRes/PhD. Any honest feedback on prospects or other options including funding (except for LSE MSc) would be greatly appreciated! Interested in research in development and political economy mostly.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Economics, Cambridge University, UK - currently going into 3rd year so just have 2 years of exam results

Undergrad GPA: 1st Class in 5/5 papers (1st Year), 1st Class in econometrics project (2nd year), no 2nd year exams due to Covid but 1st Class in 3/3 mock exams.

GRE: 170Q/157V/6.0W

Math Courses (list the grades for each course):

Mathematics and Statistics - first year course in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability theory, statistical inference (1st Class)

Mathematics and Statistics - second year course in static, dynamic optimisation, further linear algebra, set theoretic probability, inference, Bayesian methods (No exam due to covid, not even mock exam)

Econ Courses Undergrad (list the grades for each course):

Intermediate micro - first year (1st Class)

Intermediate macro - first year (1st Class)

Economic history (1st class)

Game theory - second year (no exam, 1st Class in mock exam)

Intermediate macro - second year (no exam, 1st Class in mock exam)

Intermediate econometrics - second year (1st Class in coursework, no exam but 1st Class in mock exam)

Other Courses:

Politics and Social Aspects of Economics (1st Class)

Letters of Recommendation:

1 from RA, relatively young researcher

1 from supervisor, fairly established

1 from supervisor and lecturer, fairly established

Research Experience:

2 month summer RA (not a formal RA setup, just did some data-based work for a professor at my Cambridge college)

Did an undergraduate research project in development studies part time during my first year.

Tried to write an applied theory paper (still very early stage working paper) in first year, but without supervision.

Other (Notes, concerns etc.):

Self-assessment:

Weaknesses: My main concern is the lack of second year exams due to covid. In particular, no formal maths course beyond multivariable calculus and linear algebra level stuff. I haven't done any formal pre-doc RA either because I've just finished my 2nd year. Any insights as to how this may affect my application are greatly appreciated! I'm looking to stay in the UK for PhD and so LSE is obviously the best option, and they're the only one with a direct application from undergrad so I thought I'd give it a try while I'm also applying to their Masters. Any advice about where I should think about applying too would be amazing as well.

Strengths: Quite good grades in first year. Good Quant GRE.

Lol that sounds like you're reading too much EJMR.

With that profile, you should not consider Warwick. You have already got good pair of selection, go for them.

It rarely hurts to apply widely, and the OP may even come to prefer Warwick's program over other options come next year. Who knows. I think negating the suggestion to consider Warwick almost negates the purpose of this thread. But I see what you're saying too, about the profile being outstandingly strong despite just one year of formal exams -- this is something UK schools are likely to be very accepting of I believe, particularly for their own students.

@Evonomist294 Without more serious research experience and/or more coursework, it’s already a disadvantage that the undergrad program is 3 years rather than 4, and I don’t know why you would suggest top 10 PhD without fully knowing your peers’ application packages, and when the OP is asking about master’s programs and not PhD programs. Quite honestly, how would you know if his application is strong enough to get into “all those msc” as you say, when you don’t have any adcom experience?

Thanks all for your advice! I am asking mostly for Masters programs, but also LSE's MRes/PhD which allows for direct admission. I was wondering if anyone had any insights on the likelihood of funding for Masters (except LSE MSc) and the PhD. Once again, any advice is much appreciated