Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Valedictorian – but no RA

econstudentcorp

Hi!

I'm thinking about pursuing an economics PhD! I'm from a public state school, graduated with a double major in Economics and Applied Math & Stats. I know I'm missing some math courses, but I was wondering how much of a deal-breaker that was.

Type of Undergrad: Public State School (top 100 overall)

Undergrad GPA: 4.0, didn't list grades assume A unless otherwise noted

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: Haven't taken yet

Math Courses (Undergrad):Calculus I/II (AP placement), Calculus III, Applied Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Finite Mathematical Structures, Data Analysis, Operations Research: Determinist Models, Operations Research: Stochastic Models (P, during COVID), Mathematical Statistics (P, during COVID)

*all classes are from applied math dept., not pure

Math Courses (Grad) : n/a

Econ Courses: Intro Micro/Macro, Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Micro, Econometrics, Industrial Organization, Money and Banking, Corporate Finance, International Economics, International Finance, Game Theory, Economic Development

Other Courses: Computer Assisted Mathematical Problem Solving (pure math dept.)

Letters of Recommendation: I'm assuming I can get three. One from prof's whose class I attended/TA'd for, one from thesis advisor whose many classes I was in, one from prof who I TA'd for and worked with closely during ECs

Research Experience: undergrad thesis

Teaching Experience: TA for Intermediate Micro, TA for Intermediate Macro

Research Interests: Economic Development and related

SOP: n/a

What programs should I target? Should I even apply?

Thanks!

Edited by econstudentcorp

• 2 weeks later...
I think my letters will be strong! My thesis advisor is writing one and contacting schools’ admission he has relationships with. My other professor said she will write me a “very strong letter” — I TA’d for her and took her course. To make up for my lack of proof-based math, the head of the applied math dept is writing one to vouch for the rigor of the program and my abilities — I took a class with her and she personally nominated me for several awards. My letter writers seem very enthusiastic about me pursuing a PhD, so I think that is a good sign.